Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 63 that needs everything! I have been hanging around the track and would like to run the 9.50 index class. I am thinking a 434 crate motor with good 23 degree CNC heads (AFR 227 Eliminator?), solid roller cam shaft with all the good parts. I may want to get into nitrous (250 shot) once I get the hang of it. I also want to run on pump gas and be able to drive it occasionally on the street.

Can I run 9.50 on the 434 motor alone?

I do not want to build the bottom end myself and want to go with a very reputable engine builder. I have been surfing some of the sites I have found listed on other posts and there seems to be many potential builders. I realize that I will need to spend north of $10K for the basic motor and that fits my budget.

Who do you all suggest?

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Can I run 9.50 on the 434 motor alone?
It's gonna take about 750 h.p. in a 2800 lb. car to do it. I'm not a big block fan, but a 572/720 GM crate motor makes close to 800 h.p., and would be a great way to run the number you want. At the low rpm it runs, it should last forever.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
well if you got the money try these guys out www.shafiroff.com they may have what your looking for there is also world products and dart machinery as well im sure there are a few guys down in your area that can help to you should pm ( little red wagon ) he was or is building a 434 motor for his wagon :yes:

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
super late model's switching ,,

alot of " super late model " dirt trackers are switching to " 604 crate engine " classes ,, and there is a bunch of 434 or bigger small block type stuff for sale. The typical super late engine produced 750 + hp. I saw a 430 the other day for 5000.00 complete carb to pan on racingjunk.com . Thats prolly about a 1/3 of what it took to build it or even less.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's gonna take about 750 h.p. in a 2800 lb. car to do it. I'm not a big block fan, but a 572/720 GM crate motor makes close to 800 h.p., and would be a great way to run the number you want. At the low rpm it runs, it should last forever.
I have been thinking small block all along. Let me allow the thought of a big block sink in for a while. You bring up a good point about reliability.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
alot of " super late model " dirt trackers are switching to " 604 crate engine " classes ,, and there is a bunch of 434 or bigger small block type stuff for sale. The typical super late engine produced 750 + hp. I saw a 430 the other day for 5000.00 complete carb to pan on racingjunk.com . Thats prolly about a 1/3 of what it took to build it or even less.
I have heartburn about buying used. It really has to do with my lack of experience.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
well if you got the money try these guys out www.shafiroff.com they may have what your looking for there is also world products and dart machinery as well im sure there are a few guys down in your area that can help to you should pm ( little red wagon ) he was or is building a 434 motor for his wagon :yes:
A friend of mine has had a 434 sbc built by shafiroff and I can tell you from personal experience I had a custom 434 built with all the good stuff, Dart little M block and it wasnt a pump gas engine, it was a 13:1 motor with 675 horse and it put my 3100 lb 67 Nova at a 10:17 at 129 all day long, I had stock suspension and a 26x9.5 tire leaving on the foot brake with a 1.28 60 foot and the engine cost me $11,000 when it was all said and done and I had a 1050cfm dominator sitting on top of it. Buy a big block and run pump gas and spray it you will be in the 9's. Also the shafiroff engine wound up costing my friend $12k and his 3500lb Malibu runs 10.20's on motor and 9.60's on spray " also 13:1 compression"

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
I think you would be better off going to your local engine shop and telling them what you want and your budget and they will put all the money in the right places and do it up right. You might even save a little too. They can go over options with SBC or BBC and get you a custom cam for your application and make it exactly what you want for what you want to do with it. Big blocks are great and so is Shafiroff but if I were you thats what I would do. Or you could get a short block/ long block and do half yourself. Sky is the limit. How much are you looking to spend?

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Buy a big block and run pump gas and spray it you will be in the 9's.
My iron headed 406 ran 9's with a 200 shot on a 9" street tire--like I said, the 572 crate motor will run the number, and do it for many years without the need for nitrous.
My last 414" small block ran 6.39 (10 flat 1/4) without nitrous, so it wouldn't take much nitrous to get to 9.50, but the factory crate motor would do it all day long and still live a long time. In the long run, a $13,000 factory engine shifting at 6250 rpm could be much less expensive than rebuilding a lesser engine after a season or 2.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My iron headed 406 ran 9's with a 200 shot on a 9" street tire--like I said, the 572 crate motor will run the number, and do it for many years without the need for nitrous.
My last 414" small block ran 6.39 (10 flat 1/4) without nitrous, so it wouldn't take much nitrous to get to 9.50, but the factory crate motor would do it all day long and still live a long time. In the long run, a $13,000 factory engine shifting at 6250 rpm could be much less expensive than rebuilding a lesser engine after a season or 2.
Are you talking about pump gas or a 12:1 on race gas? Where did you see one for $13,000?

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
If you want a pump gas killer , that says it all
Are you talking about pump gas or a 12:1 on race gas?
That one was a race gas engine when racing, pump gas on the street.

Where did you see one for $13,000?
Pace Performance:
12498826 - 572R Long Block (720 HP Verison) Does Not Include Intake, Carburator,Water Pump, Distributor or spark Plug Wires
Pace Price
$13,179.95

The complete version is $14,459.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
I'm a small block fan. However, if I were to build a reliable 9 second drag car, I'd go big block. How about this solution. GM 502 short block and an Edelbrock top end kit. That will get you over 600 HP on a very streetable motor. Add a little nitrous and your over 800 HP. A 200 shot would be nothing on top of that 502.

Dart also has SHP big block short blocks now.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts

i have a friend that did have a 496 , rect. port heads , ported , like 15-1 , aluminum rods , callies crank. 800+ lift roller , I think he only wanted 4000.00 for it , but it needs new rods n bearings , valve springs , intake and a carb . It dynoed close to 1000 hp with a bug catcher on alcohol.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I know 11:1 can run on premium with aluminum heads. Is 12:1 that much over the edge?
I race my current small block on 91 octane and it's just about 12-1. I've driven across the country with 14.5-1 on as low as 90 octane in some states.
I love nitrous, but I wouldn't build an index class car with it. You could build a very streetable engine (big or small) and run 9.50's on the bottle, but then you have to worry about having enough bottles, heater, cooler, etc......
Like Jon mentioned, a ProCharger would get you there and be quite streetable as well--I just don't have that kind of budget to play with!

·
Registered
35 Posts
SanAntonio ... I'm looking at the Shafiroff Ultra Street BB motors for a '70 I'm building. They are all 10.5-1 pump gas motors & put out some serious numbers. The 540/695 is $10,750 SHIPPED! They have a new 598/775 low deck for $12K. All the best components.

http://www.ultrastreet.net/engines.asp

1 - 20 of 39 Posts