Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can any recommend a good USA made Crankshaft for a mild street nova? How good are SCAT Cranks? any reviews or feedback? let me know thanks

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
I can't swear to it but have been told by two crankshaft shops all the less expensive cranks are made overseas. I am currently using 3 Eagle steel cranks in BBCs making from 660 to 760 HP and after several years they are still doing well. They are made overseas. If you want a crankshaft made in the USA it will probably be expensive. I would avoid the lower cost Scat cranks if you plan to make any serious HP and go with their higher end stuff. You get what you pay for from all the suppliers. JMHO, RM

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
In David Vizard's book "how to build max performance chevy small blocks on a budget!" he recomends the scat steel crank. He siad he has tried them in nitrous motors up to 650 hp and still hasen't broke one.

-Aaron

·
Registered
475 Posts
Nearly all aftermarket cranks are cast or forged overseas. Crower has supposedly started getting their cranks from overseas as well(machined in the USA though). About the only one I know for sure doesnt come from overseas is Moldex.
Typically the cranks are cast or forged overseas then the machine work is done here in the states......or at least the better ones are. The real cheap ones are usually machined overseas and the machine work most of the time is sub-standard.....meaning that they will usually require some more machining in order for them to be right.
Scat sells pretty good products......theirs are machined in the US.
Rods are the same way......a lot of them, not all of them, come from overseas then are machined here in the states.
Cranks machined overseas almost always have some kind of problem......journals may be tapered, out of round, improper jouranl size(slightly smaller or bigger), improper radius on the fillets, oil holes not exactly right, rough thrust surfaces.
Rods machined overseas a lot of times have problems too....tapered or improper size on big end and small end, sometimes the weights will differ greatly from one rod to another within a set.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
On a mild application, I run original equipment. If it ain't broke, why fix it. Chevrolets have a very good oiling system and there is nothing wrong with the original parts. Of course, this is based on what I consider mild (under 300 hp).

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
a stock gm steel crank will take a lot of abouse. ive used them in small blocks up to 500hp and bigblocks up to 600hp with no problems. one of the magazines, i think chevy hp, took a stock 350 and started adding nitrous to see how much it could handle. they put the 350 in an old car added the nitrous kit and started making 1/4 mile passes. the motor let go on a 450 hp shot of nitrous, but it was due to a gas problem not engine part problem. so just take your stock steel crank and have it checked for flaws at a good machine shop and maybe with a little polish and so on you will save a lot of money and have a great part that will serve you well.

·
Registered
185 Posts
big dog ss said:
a stock gm steel crank will take a lot of abouse. ive used them in small blocks up to 500hp and bigblocks up to 600hp with no problems.

I agree with Big Dog, for stock GM.
A friend used a "don's crank years ago, the front snout ripped away! I have a COLA crank, I bought, is anybody familiar with them as to whether or not it's foriegn?

The foriegn """"steel"""" IS JUNK.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts