Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm in the process of converting my car from automatic to manual transmission. The last thing hanging me up is whether I need to buy a neutrally balanced flywheel or a factory balanced flywheel.

The motor is no longer stock and the guy I bought it from doesn't remember if he had the crank internally balanced. So my question is could I tell whether the crankshaft is balanced or not by looking at the flex plate?

If the crank is internally balanced there should be no counter weights on the flex plate, but if the crank is NOT internally balanced there would be an extra piece of metal bolted or welded to one side of the flex plate.

Is this right or would I have to drop the oil pan to see if the crankshaft counter weights are drilled and plugged or whatever.

Thanks

-Mike V

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
If it's internally balanced there will be additional weights, if externally balanced there will be a weight welded to the flexplate. You can also check the balancer to see if there is additional weight on it as well.

Both these set up's are factory balance set up's. All Chevy engines except the 400 small block and 454 big block are internally balanced. These 2 are externally balanced.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it's internally balanced there will be additional weights, if externally balanced there will be a weight welded to the flexplate.
Do you mean if it's internally balanced there will be NO additional weights?

thanks for the reply

-Mike V

1 - 5 of 5 Posts