Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It ran perfectly fine before I started messing with the timing. I read the Distributor install in Best of Drivetrain on how to set timing and I felt I had to start over even though my engine was running. I took it for a road test and it fell on its face. Instead of adjusting my carb, I figured I set my timing right first.

These are the things I had set wrong or didnt do right initially.

1.) using ported vacuum

2.) didnt remove the springs inside distributor while checking advance curve

3.) didnt measure my balancer and / by 10 to get 36*

4.) my buddy just sold me a tach so I felt I needed to know what RPM the curve was in.

My tranny was out of adjustment and leaking so I put some dexron III ( its overfilled now ) I didnt have time to drain the extra out. But could I be getting tranny fluid in my vacuum modulator and into the carb?

The carb was sputting out some nasty black smog that lingered around for a while. It landed on the engine area and it wasnt evaporating so I figured it was oil of some sort.

Lastly, I checked the timing with my light while it was running right before I took out the distributor and it was idling at around 50 degrees on PORTED vacuum ( guestimate after measuring where 36 degrees was, it was almost double the distance) BTDC

The first thing I did was set the HB to TDC ( used a rag in plug hole ) and remove the cap and verify the rotor position and it was about 3 terminals off......But it was running. I tried gas in the carb, and the best I get is a nasty, sputtery poof.

Should I just play with timing to get it to crank? My battery is dying so I had to quit. Ill try and get a video

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
You are "chasing your tail". Stop and take a break.

• You check base timing with the vacuum advance hose removed and plugged.
  • You DO NOT remove springs to check timing advance.
  • You may have blown your vacuum modulator on the transmission. It will suck tranny fluid into the intake through the modulator vacuum hose, casing rough running and smoking. Remove the hose at the modulator and see if Red ATF drips out. If it does, you need to fix that before trying to tune your engine.

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are "chasing your tail". Stop and take a break.

• You check base timing with the vacuum advance hose removed and plugged.
  • You DO NOT remove springs to check timing advance.
  • You may have blown your vacuum modulator on the transmission. It will suck tranny fluid into the intake through the modulator vacuum hose, casing rough running and smoking. Remove the hose at the modulator and see if Red ATF drips out. If it does, you need to fix that before trying to tune your engine.
OK, thanks PW. Ill check it today.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Have a beer!!! and take it one step at a time... I have a dry erase board in my garage and I take notes on it when I make changes to my engine. Helps 2-3 days later when u cant remember your last ajustment

1 - 4 of 4 Posts