Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 70' b/b I have a battery with 875/ cranking amps....reserve 130. Is this too high or not enough. Thinking about switching batteries, i like those "interstate' ones. The one I have is kinda too wide.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
There is never too much cranking amps:)

You will notice that cranking amps and warranty life on many batteries have a direct relation. The more amps, the longer the life. The number of deep cycle discharges is what can wear a battery out. The higher cranking amps, the less discharge percentage per start.

875 should be enough for about anything. 650-700 came stock, even for big blocks.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Look close at the cold cranking amps too. Some cheaper batteries will have a high cranking amp rating but the cold cranking amps will be lower than a comprable moderately priced "good" brand.

·
6,554 Posts
I would think the 875 would be fine also. What I would also do is make sure all of it can get to the starter by running large enough cabling from the positive post of the battery to the starter and also from the block to the negative post. Also make sure you have solid terminal connections to the wire and at the other points.
Jim

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
(70, b/b 396) I went to a red top 'optima' battery. Could not find one in the stores, so I ordered one. A major supplier of car parts sent me one. They sent me the wrong model ......#34 1000 CA, 800 CCA. So I sent it back and told them I ordered the one with alittle less CA and not this one. So I sent it back and they in turn sent me back the same wrong battery, #34 1000 CA. In stead of returning it again, can I get by with this 1000 CA without screwing up anything? (as of now I have #6 battery cables) thanks

·
Premium Member
7,409 Posts
I bought A red top Optima last week from Advance Auto Parts. I work there part time and with my employee discount I saved 30 bucks on the thing:cool: . We usually keep 2 red tops and A couple of Yellows on the rack.

Tommy :) (always on A budget, my friends say i'm just cheap):eek:

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
WARNING:

Do NOT let the Optima batterys go dead (over storage). Even the deep cycle ones. they do not come back. I've had them since they came out and probably have lost five (two that were new in heated storage) from going dead over the course of the winter months. Even my battery salesman says they have problems with this. Thats not to say they don't last otherwise. I've switched back to regular batterys, but still have one yellow top (Deep cycle) in my CJ 5 Jeep. It's about four years old and still is fine.

On a related note, Deep cycle batterys have a much shorter lifespan that a regular battery. By the nature of them being made to survive the charge-discharge, the plates are eaten up more than twice as quickly as a non- deep cycle. Anybody with a boat knows how quicky you go through batterys. Bottom line is that if you want a gel battery, don't let it sit discharged. And unless you really need a deep-cycle (other than a race car, most don't) just buy a battery with a high (800 or so) CCA (cold cranking amp at 0 degrees) rating. That will be more than enough.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts