Chevy Nova Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1971 Chevy Nova
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I'm pretty sure the hoop is made from steel so it will be hard to polish. At least mine are steel hoops with aluminum centers but not sure if they changed the design throughout the years.

Chris
The hoop is steel and the center is aluminum. I'm at odds on what to do.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I don't think there is an easy fix. Like suggestions above, either change the color of the hoop or I guess you could try the rattle can chrome. I'm guessing that probably won't work well but never used it. You might have to cut your loss and buy new rims. My guess getting them re-chromed would cost the same or close to new rims anyway.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yeah, they are still an aluminum center with cast in steel weld tabs, welded to a chromed steel hoop.

Most chrome shop refuse to touch them, due to that different metals deal.

IIRC, Cragar chromes both pieces separately, welds them together, and then paints the weld with something like chrome spray paint or cold galvanizing to retard rust at the weld. The side of the wheel hoop facing the front it sanded and polished prior to chroming, I don't know if the die cast aluminum centers come out of the permanent mold good enough to go straight to chrome or if they have to polish those too before chroming them.

I worked for a circle track wheel company for several years in the early 1990's, we used to get guys sending them in a couple times a year to take a deep dish Cragar and widen the backside of it, making a 12-14" wide "Pro-Street" wheel out of a 7", 8-1/2", or 10" version. Got asked all the time if we did re-chroming, or knew of some shop that would. At that time, the shops around our area that did our chrome hoops for us refused to do a Cragar or Keystone due to that cast center. Would not do Cragar SST's either, the chromed aluminum center, steel hoop street version of the Super Trick/Centerline AutoDrag wheel.

If you choose to buy new, and want the Cragar SS look, Cragar makes an 1-piece cast aluminum polished and chromed version...that will never rust! Added plus it is a ton lighter than the chromed steel anchors.
Series 610C Vintage Chrome G/T

·
Registered
1971 Chevy Nova
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Anybody have a good recommendation on a one-piece aluminum wheel that resembles the Crager SS?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Anybody have a good recommendation on a one-piece aluminum wheel that resembles the Crager SS?
I already listed it, in post #23. Cragar Series 610c, called the Vintage Chrome G/T.
One-piece aluminum cast wheel, polished and chromed, looks just like the original rounded spoke 1960's-70's era Cragar S/S.
15" and 17", in 7" or 8" widths.

·
Registered
1971 Chevy Nova
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I already listed it, in post #23. Cragar Series 610c, called the Vintage Chrome G/T.
One-piece aluminum cast wheel, polished and chromed, looks just like the original rounded spoke 1960's-70's era Cragar S/S.
15" and 17", in 7" or 8" widths.

I would rather not pay $300 for them.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I would rather not pay $300 for them.
Well, I guess you are out of luck then, I know of nobody making any similar wheel at a cheaper price.

About all you can find in the $150 range in a 5 spoke style wheel made of aluminum is fully polished American Racing Torque Thrust II's. They run $130-$135/ea

EDIT: Just found this...Vision Wheels 141 Legend 5, chromed aluminum 5 spoke, a bit different than the torque Thrust, like 1/2 way to the Cragar 610 Classic G/T.
Summit has them for $105 painted center, $175 chromed

21 - 30 of 30 Posts