Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1971 Chevy Nova
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Crager SS wheels have rust on the outer rims and it has ruined the chrome. The inner part of the rim is fine. I'm not in a position yet to buy new wheels and want to hear some ideas on how I can fix them or at least make them look ok. Somebody mention buying rim rings for them but not sure if they will work or not.

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
You could always take some scotch brite and scuff them up and then paint them chrome? I have heard of people doing that.

Dave
67 Nova Boy

·
Registered
816 Posts
Have you tried the Coca Cola and aluminum foil "remedy". It might be worth a try depending on the depth of the rust.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I paint everything so I'm a paint fan but "chrome paint" doesn't seem to be the answer but what do you have to lose.
Take 'em to a tire shop and see if they will break the front bead for you. Better than masking

·
Premium Member
1,968 Posts
I would paint just the outside that is bad a different color. Leave the middle chrome. You could try to color match to your car or just go with a neutral color like black or grey.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Now you know exactly why Cragar SS wheels suck. If they aren't kept waxed, dried off every time they get wet, and stored climate controlled for the winter you get rust.

Unfortunately, there is no good repair, just sorta repairs to try to hide it.
A friend of mine took a very old set of Rocket Racing wheels that were Cragar SS knock-offs back in the 1970's and had them blasted, then powdercoated Bright Reflective Silver followed with powder clear coat. They look like new, but don't look chrome...they look like polished aluminum, the very "bright" look chrome has isn't there.
He had something like $300 into the whole project though, so it isn't dirt cheap.
He also had all the die-cast emblems and the headlight rings and grill done too at a later date to get some continuity to the whole look of the car and it came out great....but if you are picky or anal, you can tell it isn't chrome.

For me...polished or brush finished aluminum for the win....as it can always be refinished back to looking new with just some effort.

·
Registered
280 Posts
depending how bad the rust is, you could use #000 steel wool, or iv'e heard foil works really good since it will be softer than the chrome surface. if the chrome has pitted or flaked the chrome off, i would probably paint them.

if you want to put a lot of work, you could polish them. starting with a low grit to something like 2k grit wet sand, then a metal polish, but thats a lot of work.

·
Registered
65 Posts
depending how bad the rust is, you could use #000 steel wool, or iv'e heard foil works really good since it will be softer than the chrome surface. if the chrome has pitted or flaked the chrome off, i would probably paint them.

if you want to put a lot of work, you could polish them. starting with a low grit to something like 2k grit wet sand, then a metal polish, but thats a lot of work.
I'm pretty sure the hoop is made from steel so it will be hard to polish. At least mine are steel hoops with aluminum centers but not sure if they changed the design throughout the years.

Chris

1 - 20 of 30 Posts