Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else here ever had any problems with cracking a stock powerglide case? Mine has developed a leak in the front, and I at first thought it was the pan but after closer inspection its about a half inch in front of the pan on the passenger side. I'm pulling it out tonight to see if I can have it Tig welded. Don't really want to buy a new one since this one works perfectly fine and has quite a bit of work done to it. Is it age or is it a common problem with these things?

·
Registered
20 Posts
you running a trans-brake or had any issues with U joints or the rear end? some times a busted u joint or the rear end shifting can cause the housings to crack. The stock cases do tend to crack around the bell housing area and start from mount bolts on the housing ears. If the crack is still small, tig welding it should do the trick if you dont plan on beating on it. If your internals are still in good shape, replacing the cases and using all your existing internals may not be a bad way to go if the crack is too far gone.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes I do have a trans brake. No issues with U joints. As of right now the crack looks to be very small so hopefully the weld will fix it. Its weird because its right in front of the pan where it doesnt seem like it would have a ton of torque on it. It does seem to be spraying out with quite a bit of pressure though. My header is covered with tranny fluid. I have solid motor mounts and a solid tranny mount. I've heard different stories on how that works. Some say if you have solid motor mounts use a stock tranny mount and vice versa.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Cracked, busted a couple housing's my self but they were 350's. we replaced this one with a glide.

We still do not know what caused this one, The previous one cracked on the Chassis Dyno.

So far so good with the glide. Solid motor mounts and rubber tranny mounts.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I know this doesn't answer your question but I had a TH350 that cracked in the same exact spot as the one in the pics. I found my driver's side motor mount was broken, I've always assumed that's what caused it. I too replaced it with a glide, so far no problems.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
The two smartest most experienced trans people I know have told everyone that you never want to run a solid trans mount on any car that doesn't have a full chassis and motor plates. A subframed back halved chassis still flexes enough to bust cases if you run solid mounts according to them. I know of many cases busting due to driveshaft issues too. If it is spraying fluid it has to be worse than you think it is and into the front pump area. If it was mine I'd get another case. If it was just the bellhousing area it wouldn't be leaking and you could buy an ultra bell to fix it. Just my opinion. RM

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why does this crap have to happen a month before I have to pay for my wedding? I'll see if I can take a pic of where its cracked tonight when I get home. I dont believe its cracked in the pump area because it looks dry in there but I'm sure I could be wrong. Either way its up on the lift now and half way out so I'll let you guys know what I find. BTW what type of mount should I get for the tranny? Urethane or is there something better?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Had a buddy of mine that craked three glides before someone told him to install a mid plate. That fixed it. It was an 81 camaro with a 10 point cage, frame connectors and solid mounts. It also picked up a bit in the 60'.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I just run a stock rubber mount for the tranny mount. We have always ran a rubber mount on the tranny even on full chassis cars.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
That's why they make aftermarket bellhousings and cases. I use the J&W bellhousing.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Everyone I know runs the stock rubber mount. RM

·
Registered
751 Posts
If you have solid motor mounts/plates use a rubber trans mount. I only have one car that has both and the solid tranny mount is not bolted to the frame. The bar it is welded to slides into j hooks that are welded to the fram and so it just kind of floats there. Ive cracked trannys from bolts backing out from not enought maintence on them. I have also seen trannys crack and run down the track. As soon as it goes in reverse and the rear "pulls" on the tranny nothing but a red waterfall. Stock tranny cases are only 50$ here locally.

·
Registered
89 Posts
SOLID engine mounts, STOCK RUBBER tranny mount, and a UltraBell on our TH350. We've had zero issues with this setup.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts