Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing some brainstorming on whether to go with CPP's kit or spend the extra $$$ and buy TCI's front clip. Building a '64 SS pro-touring car and I want to use a 17-18" rim. Car is getting mini-tubbed also next week. I'm starting with my stock front clip...drum brakes and all and looking to convert to something of a more modern set up. I was originally planning on bagging the car with AirRide all around and still might, but not positive. I just like the lower stance. Any suggestions on which to go with and how much difference in $$$ will I save using CPP's kit over TCI's front clip after it's all said and done? Pros and cons of each? Any help including rim and tire sizes being used with each would be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
I don't have experience with TCI clips but I weighed the options as well. I think it depends on how far you want to go with direct bolt on kits while the TCI will have everything. Rack kit, coil-over kit, tubular upper & lower control arm kit and big disc brake kit will set you back about the same price as the TCI clip.

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
What kind of engine do you want to use now and in the future? Small block, big block, LSx ..all will fit, but each one has it's own work arounds. For the money you can do the CPP kit with Church arms, reuse the stock uppers, add dropped spindles later, rack and pinion later, etc. Beauty is you can do this in stages, as you budget allows......you're all in on a clip, and still need headers, based on your application. Clips are trick, but not the cheapest way to go IMO for someone with marginal fabrication skills (which is me), heck even I was able to bolt on the CPP setup with very little cussing....:D

T,

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Building a '64 SS pro-touring car and I want to use a 17-18" rim. Car is getting mini-tubbed also next week. I was originally planning on bagging the car with AirRide all around and still might, but not positive. I just like the lower stance. Any suggestions on which to go with and how much difference in $$$ will I save using CPP's kit over TCI's front clip after it's all said and done?
I took a couple of items from your original post and am replying based on these items.

1. If you indeed want a pro touring car with 17s or 18s, with bags, the TCI clip has advantages that are hard to ignore. The rails pinch inboard slightly, allowing for a wider front tire, as well as center the wheel better in the opening. Plus, Shockwaves mount easily. Stance and tire/wheel selection definitely lean towards this clip.
  2. Difference in $$$ I can personally attest to, since I've built a Heidt's-equipped '63 and am currently building a CPP/CBR-equipped '63 wagon. If you do all the work yourself, reuse the stock column, and use the same-for-same formula for components (drop spindles, disc brakes on both options), you'll save $800 to $1000 on the CPP/CBR stuff.

I chose the CPP/CBR route this time for the money savings. However, the added engine compartment space and flexibility in tire selection really are bonuses the stock clip can't easily offer.

·
Vendor
7,086 Posts
There are other issues you need to decide on such a engine choice,If you want to go with LS based motor currently an aftermarket clip my suit you better since I believe headers are available for non factory clips.Ground clearance could be a concern,the cross member hangs pretty low on the heidts front clip.The CPP lowers kit works very well but has some adjust ability issues.If for any reason you need more than 1.5 degrees positive caster the lower bushings bind and will not adjust.I am sure there are variances to different cars on the caster adjustment but you are limited.I will be switching to the new CBR lower arms so I can get some more and easier adjustments.The droop in the front tube of the CBR arms are is a little more aesthetically pleasing as well.The best advise is to get a complete plan together drive train/wheels/brakes etc and weigh all of your options.As stated before all of the choices have some pros and cons.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
THE FRONT CLIP KITS OFFER A BETTER WHEEL POSTION IN WHEEL OPENING . i BELEIVE ALSO TCI MOVES THE RAILS INWARD FOR BETTER TIRE CLEARANCE .h AVE YOU CHECKED OUT CHECKER RACING CLIPS LOOK TO BE NICE QUALITY AND PRICED FAIR GOOD LUCK .

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The car has a Chevy S/B 355 right now that is going to be built into a 383 stroker or I may change the block to a 400 and build a 406. I've decidied I want to stick with baggin the car with AirRide all the way around like I originally had planned. Leaning towards just spending the extra $$$ for the TCI clip, but can you use bags with the CPP kit? I guess I have to find more time to research it and call around! Two things that are holding up finishing me ride...TIME and $$$!!! Thanks for the input fellas!

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
One thing to watch for with some clips. Some will only take the header and oil-pan. Watch for that. Me I am very happy with the CBR's kit I have on my car. Up grading to the CBR lower arms soon.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
TCI framerails are moved in 1" per side to allow for wider tires, and I believe they have headers for all engines. IBUIDEM sells them for a great price also, plus shipping is free, so add that into the price also.

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
I think it was a slip of the finger..........he ment "their" header set up.
That's one of the downfalls to the aftermarket front ends that I think a lot of people don't consider. Rather than broadening your header choices, it severely restricts them unless you want to pay a bunch of money for custom headers.

It's not necessarily bad, but it's a thing that needs to be accounted for.

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
Another thing... do you want a ton of extra room in your engine compartment? If so, go with the TCI clip, you will eliminate the shock towers.

I say bite the bullet and do the whole clip... I never regret it.
Tg

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the info guys! I'm leaning towards the whole front clip. Now here's another question for you all...What's the difference between the Hiedt's and the TCI clip? I know I want to bag the car with AirRide...not sure if that makes a difference or not over one or the other. Also, between their 4-link set-ups too. I emailed ibuildem who is a member on here and sells both, so I'm awaiting a response from him also. What would you guys go with if you were baggin your rides?

·
Premium Member
7,894 Posts
The big difference in the TCI clip are the narrowed frame rails to allow wider tires up front. Other than that, the Mustang II components such as the control arms, shocks, and spindles are fairly interchangeable with other brands. The downside of the kicked-in TCI style clips is that you lose some header clearance inside the frame rails. If you plan to run a skinny tire up front, you're not going to see much benefit from the TCI over the Heidts and other more traditional clips.

TCI clips are nice for pro touring cars with wider tires up front and lower to the ground. If you are going with a big block and skinny tires up front, you may opt for the Heidts to get a tad more header clearance for bigger primary tube headers.

If you want to slam the car way down low in the front, air bags will do the job (standing still) but you are still limited some by the clearance of the cross-member from the ground when driving. If you really want to slam the front end low and actually be able to drive it that way, you may opt for a race strut-style front suspension which provides more ground clearance. But the race strut suspension isn't the best ride for the street.

I didn't always think so but I now think the best clip made is the Scotts clip. IMO it's the best engineered and superior to the rest, including the Chassisworks. It looks like Chassisworks copied some of the features of the Scotts clips. They are very similar but do have some differences. Scotts had a few minor issues a few years ago with installation but they have since been corrected. Scotts was the first clip to use the kicked-in frame rails for more tire clearance plus they were the first to offer adjustable rod ends on their upper and lower control arms.

The thing Scotts offers that no other does, as far as I'm aware of, is instead of using drop spindles to lower the car, they modify the crossmember to accomplish the stance with stock height spindles. The crossmember is raised higher in the frame for more ground clearance. That's something the Mustang II clips do not offer.

The Scotts control arms are also longer than most of the others which allows for a better spring rate and ride. The Scotts clip is a semi-custom unit designed specifically for your particular application. Not a pre-made bolt-on that is the same for every car.

They are not cheap though and cost about the same as a Chassisworks but offer a little more.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
i cant compare the front ends but i did put a ccp deluxe mini kit with 2" drop spindles and disc brakes with a larger sway bar on my 66 ss. i also used sanderson shorty headers. the car rides, drives and handles way better than stock. i am sure those other kits are nice too

1 - 20 of 22 Posts