Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to buy a mini subframe kit and I remember reading a post on here recomending the kit that comes with only the lower A arm, something about not really needing the upper a arm because the stock one does just as good. Cant find the post to save my life now. So the question is, do I need or should I buy the kit with the upper and lower A Arm. I will be using the stock spindle and will most likely do a disk brake conversion at the same time.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I bought just the mini kit and then after I checked out my upper arms to notice they were well worn and needed to be rebuilt. When you buy a deluxe kit the price is a little cheaper with the upper arms included then if you buy the upper arms later, so check your uppers before ordering.
I ended up rebuilding my upper arms for half the price of new CPP arms. They just don't look as nice, and their upper arms move the wheel back a little for better wheel clearance.

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
you only need the lowers.....they are the weak part of the first and 2nd gen suspension.bm

·
Registered
609 Posts
my upper BJ's and bushings were worn....and dirty. I realy didnt feel like cleaning anything or painting the arms so i bought the delux kit and dont regret it, it saved me time when i needed it. and i got a better piece IMO

It went like this.

Open box......put on car.....done. :yes:

And you all dont give me crap, i do this crap for a living and just dont have the time to work on my own stuff as much as i would like

·
Registered
609 Posts
and, the upper bushings are better then the replacments for the stock arms.

I try to see it both ways, but since the upper arm carries the load of the spring and car the tubular is way better

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I will probably go with the uppers also. I like the idea of not having to mess with rebuilding the old ones.

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
Bought and installed the Delux Kit and used the Global West pitman arm brushing replacement which is a ball-bearing kit. My alignment guy liked it and said it was bullet proof.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
It went like this.

Open box......put on car.....done. :yes:

And you all dont give me crap, i do this crap for a living and just dont have the time to work on my own stuff as much as i would like
Oh heck yeah, with that statement the dump truck full of chicken crap is unloading on yer front lawn right now :D Just kidding.

And yer so right, its nice to be able to depend on the various manufactures of the "bolt in" components and it goes as smoothly as they described.

Alot of times its not about the build but the wanting to drive the car. And if the build takes 15 years (yeah, me) then yer missing out on the drive. I gotta get busy damm it.

The after market dealers have really stepped up and given us nova guys the same great products that were available for the rest of the GM line in the past. And its almost at a crazy flow. So many options now its hard for a guy to say where is my limit.

Used to be just to get disc brakes was a god send for the 1st gen. Now look, so many choices. I love it.. JR

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
Bought and installed the Delux Kit and used the Global West pitman arm brushing replacement which is a ball-bearing kit. My alignment guy liked it and said it was bullet proof.
I think you mean idler arm Eddie...:yes:

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
NOGO, I think your right, everything was changed in order to get the great handling I have now. Now I just have to get it to hook up consistantly.
You sure dont need bigger tires!:no::D Those meats are stuffed in there!

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
It is all about tuning what I have to the different conditions and keeping notes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts