Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still trying to get my front end aligned close enough to take it to alignment shop.I am using a Rebco bubble alignment gauge which works pretty good.Now the problem.when i tried the alignment last week i had one of the eccentric cams round out.Was sent a new one,but quess what.Rounded out another one.I saw on one of the threads where the tires where raised of the floor to have less friction on the tires to ease adjustmentAny input on this?

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
I hope you put the washers between the cam and the frame.Yes there is less stress on the cams if the load is removed.Save your self some grief and get Moog adjustment cams and you will be much happier.Moog # K8243A

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
Alignment guys do their alignments with the tires on small skids to decrease friction as they align the tire.

If you want to use the bubble gauge, can't you lift the car between adjustments to take the weight off of the tires and then recheck the alignment after dropping it back down?

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
You need to have slip plates to adjust the lower arms or the force of the cams will not be strong enough to move the suspension and overcome the tire friction with the ground. You can make your alignment adjustments with the wheels barely off the ground jacked up by the suspension. jacking it up by the chassis will cause binding if you tighten the bushings and set the car back down.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
I don't want to change the subject but should the big part of the cams be pointed up or down? It looked weird when they pointed down and stuck out below the bracket almost an inch, so I put mine with the lobe at the top. But this did decrease the amount for adjustment because they won't rotate all the way without hitting the bracket...

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
I don't want to change the subject but should the big part of the cams be pointed up or down? It looked weird when they pointed down and stuck out below the bracket almost an inch, so I put mine with the lobe at the top. But this did decrease the amount for adjustment because they won't rotate all the way without hitting the bracket...
It does not matter- I also noted the cams would not rotate all the way around because they touched the bracket on the front side. My eccentrics only hang down 3/8" or so when rotated down- not an inch.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You need to have slip plates to adjust the lower arms or the force of the cams will not be strong enough to move the suspension and overcome the tire friction with the ground. You can make your alignment adjustments with the wheels barely off the ground jacked up by the suspension. jacking it up by the chassis will cause binding if you tighten the bushings and set the car back down.
I do have 2 pieces of floor tile under each tire for less friction.I will add a little grease to smooth things out some.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Moog K8243A

Can anyone tell me if this kit number(K8243A) contains 1 or 2 bolts with cams?I am ready to order, but need to know before ordering.

·
Vendor
4,056 Posts
That kit number when ordered from Car Quest provides you with 2 sets of cams and bolts. If you go any place else they may use the same number but they will not be the same part, unless they are original Moog parts.

These original replacement Moog eccentrics are exactly what I purchase for use in our lower control arms. Just looking at them you can tell that there is a tremendous difference in quality:yes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts