Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I’m finally getting around to finishing up my CPP Mustang II front clip on my ‘64 Nova wagon. I got the core support, hood hinge brackets, inner fenders, and outer fenders all on, but I’m having a heck of a time lining up the holes in the inner fenders with the holes in the hood hinge brackets. Any ideas?? There were some mystery spacers in the hardware bag that came with the inner fenders. Do I need to space the hood hinge brackets? If so, where do the spacers go? So far I have the hinge brackets bolted right to the firewall, sitting over top of the down tube brackets. A couple pics here. Can take more if needed.
Thanks!
-Rick

Attachments

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Did you mock it up before raw metal before painting. Did it fit or is this the first time assembling the clip with the inner fender panels..?

You might need to elongate the holes for it to fit right but you need to pay attention to how the rest of the front sheet metal is lining up..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you mock it up before raw metal before painting. Did it fit or is this the first time assembling the clip with the inner fender panels..?

You might need to elongate the holes for it to fit right but you need to pay attention to how the rest of the front sheet metal is lining up..
This is the first time fitting the inner fender panels. Against better judgement, I had them powder coated without an initial test fit. I came across another thread on here when I was reading this morning from a guy with similar issues on his TCI clip. There was some good insight there that I’m gonna try tonight if I get some time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, and I should add, the rest of the sheet metal is fitting great. Core support went on well, and the inner fenders to core support bolt holes all lined up without elongating. The outer fenders fit well too and the fender to door gaps are really close (final adjustment when I get these inner fender/hinge bracket bolts all in).

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Put some smaller bolts in it with some larger fender washers and proceed with hanging the front end sheet metal. This is just temporary to see how well it is lining up. If it’s all good then open up the holes is the inner fender.. If not, you’ll have to figure out where to make the adjustments..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Put some smaller bolts in it with some larger fender washers and proceed with hanging the front end sheet metal. This is just temporary to see how well it is lining up. If it’s all good then open up the holes is the inner fender.. If not, you’ll have to figure out where to make the adjustments..
Thanks man, that’s a good idea.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
That why we mock up as much as possible.. It’s tedious but necessary..

I had a set of TCI lower control arms that didn’t fit the crossmember properly when I started fitting it together.. It was the first time going together on the car and all still bare metal.. TCI replaced the arms and all was good.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got them all to line up! Just loosened the firewall support bolts and core support to inner fender bolts, and gave things a good shove and they lined up. That wasn’t too bad. Can you tell this is my first time doing something like this? Lol. 09581455-B1F9-4F78-8764-5A7CC6DD486A_1554850534894.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Ya, sometimes things need a little finesse.. Initial fitment with all kinds of new parts going together for the first time I like to assemble loosely not snugging everything down until all the hardware is in place.. If something is close to lining up you can wiggle it a bit and get the bolt through and started.. If everything is snugged down as you go the pieces get more rigid and can’t move enough to allow you to manipulate the pieces to line up..

The holes in the inner fender will be sandwiched between the hood hinge and the outer bracket.. If you needed to open them up to help with the alignment it would not be a visible modification once the hinges are installed..

Your last picture is not showing. You might need to resize it.. I would like to see the assembled pic if you can adjust it to show up. Otherwise it’s looking good..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Very nice. Did the allen bolts come with the clip or did you buy them separate?
Thanks! They came with the CPP inner fender kit. The inner fender kit was purchased separate from the Mustang II front clip kit. I was shorted one allen bolt but my local hardware store had an exact match.

·
Premium Member
1,925 Posts
I like it!
I was thinking about getting the CPP front clip as well.
With what you have seen so far, would you get it again?
What options did you go with?
Coilovers?
Wilwood Brakes?
Manual Rack or power rack?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I like it!
I was thinking about getting the CPP front clip as well.
With what you have seen so far, would you get it again?
What options did you go with?
Coilovers?
Wilwood Brakes?
Manual Rack or power rack?
Thanks man! So far, so good. I would buy it again if I ever built another one of these. The value is seemingly good. A little custom fitting here and there with the grinder/drill, but it sounds like that’s pretty typical when adding new parts to an old car. Nothing serious though and it went together surprisingly well. As far as options, I didn’t stray far from the base price package. I got:

2” drop spindles
Manual rack
Standard coil springs/shocks
Standard issue disc brakes

The only add on that I bought was the inner fender kit. I had everything powder coated satin black so it should last for a long time. Of course I haven’t driven the car yet, but from what I’ve experienced so far, it’s a good kit, especially for the price.

Pic of my most recent progress...

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Where do the big metal spacers go? I have 4 of them?
I see you put the hood hinge brackets behind the inner fender, did you have to trim the inner fender?

·
Registered
586 Posts
Hey there Rick, just an fyi to you. I installed a Checkered Racing Mustang II front clip on my 65, and ran into many small adjustments just like yours. You may have one more hurdle to jump when you go to installing and fitting your hood. My inner fenders are perfectly flat on the top surface that mates to your outer fenders, which are not flat, but have an arc in them. If you tighten down the bolts that fasten the two together without spacers or shims, you will force the arc out of your fenders. Your hood has the same arc in it as your fenders, so now the hood will be higher in the middle and you will see this from the side. Mine was pretty severe so I made a piece of aluminum the radius of the arc and placed it between the inner and outer fenders. With all this said, your brand of inner fenders may have accounted for this. If not, this is what's going on.
Good luck with your front suspension and enjoy the ride!!! I really like mine.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts