Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious how many people have used CPP's 400 series power steering box. I have one installed in my 67 and have had nothing but problems. The steering is stiff and there are sticking points in the wheel. When driving and taking a corner the wheel will not return to center on its own. The stock power assist was better than the steering I get with this box. I have a rebuilt front end with all new steering linkage and a CPP mini sub frame. These problems are all still there after an alignment. I have troubleshot this with CPP many of times and nothing seems to work. I think it is a bad box but they insist it is very unlikely. Any comments or feedback would be helpful.

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
I have installed two of them and they work great :yes: but the ones I got are 500 Series not 400 :confused:

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
I installed one on my 66 and one on my 64 a few months ago. It turns like a Cadillac :yes:

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Just curious how many people have used CPP's 400 series power steering box. I have one installed in my 67 and have had nothing but problems. The steering is stiff and there are sticking points in the wheel. When driving and taking a corner the wheel will not return to center on its own. The stock power assist was better than the steering I get with this box. I have a rebuilt front end with all new steering linkage and a CPP mini sub frame. These problems are all still there after an alignment. I have troubleshot this with CPP many of times and nothing seems to work. I think it is a bad box but they insist it is very unlikely. Any comments or feedback would be helpful.
Have the 400 in my 66, works great with the right feel to it, but....is slow centering itself. What pump r u running, no linkage binding?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am running a new pump that CPP sold me with the box, also no binding in the linkage. We were able to eliminate the pump from the equation. Thought there could be air in the lines. We have also played with the steering column to make sure its not binding there also, no luck. CPP said to loosen the clamp where the shaft goes into the firewall to eliminate any biding, did that still no luck.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I am running a new pump that CPP sold me with the box, also no binding in the linkage. We were able to eliminate the pump from the equation. Thought there could be air in the lines. We have also played with the steering column to make sure its not binding there also, no luck. CPP said to loosen the clamp where the shaft goes into the firewall to eliminate any biding, did that still no luck.
Think I would be asking CPP for another box.:yes: After all, they said it would be very unlikely... which means not impossible.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Try disconnecting the pitman arm to take the box out the equation--does everything turn smoothly? My El Camino won't return properly, and I found a lot of friction in the ball joints. When I loosen the joints it turns very smoothly.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had to take the pitman arm off because the one they sent me was faulty. We were able to take a look at everything with the box out of play, everything was nice and smooth.

I think I am just going to have to go through the hassle of taking the box out and getting a new one from them. I really didn't want to do that because it is kind of a pain in the a##.

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
I almost went with the 400 on my 63, but at the last minute decided on the Borgeson unit. Installation went smoothly and so far no problems. Steering is smooth and drives straight as an arrow. I did loose my horn ground, do not understand how. I had to come up with a clever idea to make ground contact so the horn would work. Its no fun doing things over, good luck and hope things turn out ok. If all is still stock you can install the idler arm bearing and get rid of the rubber bushing might help with the steering problems. Although, sounds like a bad PS box.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just literally just finished installing a CPP power steering box in my 62. So far it feels pretty nice. I understand not wanting to pull the box back out because it was a pain to get in. I had clearance issues with my z bar and the box and it required some modifications. So it was in and out of my car a few times. My pitman arm clearance at the frame is very tight. You may want to look for rubbing issues there, perhaps that could be causing binding? I personally haven't experienced any binding so far.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I've only idled mine around the parking lot, but I haven't had any issues with it so far. Won't an off alignment also cause the wheel to not return easily?
I know a brand new box shouldn't need adjustment, but I remember adjusting a worn box a hair too much and it causing this. Backed it off 1/4 of a turn and that worked out.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After all of the troubleshooting we did with this box the last thing we tried was adjusting the actual box itself, nothing. We double and tripled checked for any binding in the front end, all was smooth. I think at this point I am going to go through the hassle of taking it out and exchanging it for a new one. I am going to request that CPP inspect it before they ship it out this time.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
I just literally just finished installing a CPP power steering box in my 62. So far it feels pretty nice. I understand not wanting to pull the box back out because it was a pain to get in. I had clearance issues with my z bar and the box and it required some modifications. So it was in and out of my car a few times. My pitman arm clearance at the frame is very tight. You may want to look for rubbing issues there, perhaps that could be causing binding? I personally haven't experienced any binding so far.
I'm running z bar and was wondering what manifold or header you are running ?
And where you had to grind at
Any pics ?
I've been looking at the CPP box too and like to see one mounted
Thanks for any help Mitch

·
Registered
10 Posts
CPP 400 series box

This location has a CPP 400 series box, pitman, idler for sale, say he went to rack and pinion. Go to www.goshowcase.com select the read magazine tab at top, then select the current issue,a lot of good 66 nova parts in it,, just turn the page you will see pictures,can't remember what page they were on.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm running z bar and was wondering what manifold or header you are running ?
And where you had to grind at
Any pics ?
I've been looking at the CPP box too and like to see one mounted
Thanks for any help Mitch
With

I had to cut off the tab not used on the box to clear the z bar. Then I had to fabricate a new pivot bracket. The bracket just under the box to the right. After some more driving I am pretty happy with the box so far.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts