Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the CPP kit (13" big brake) worth being double the price of the Right stuff kit (11")? It is a street car with manual drums (currently) and I will be upgrading to manual disks. Is the stopping power difference that significant??

Any feedback/advice is greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
You bet it is....crack your forehead on the wheel difference.....:yes:

Only down fall.....you have to run a 17" wheel...no exceptions.....NOGO tried them all....if you already have 17's no problem, the braking difference is substantial....

Do you need them.......your decision, buuuutt......you can never have too much horsepower, or too much braking......:D

T,

·
Registered
681 Posts
Basically... ANYTHING is better than the drums, but from a purely engineering point of view. Base your stopping power on your engine power and overall weight of the vehicle. If you are running a BB, and have a lot of weight up front, the larger brakes will add to the weight, but will help a lot in the stopping power. If you are running a SB, the 11" are more standard, but will work well, again, based on the weight of the car.

I have a Wagon, with a 283, and a Saginaw (which is heavier than the Muncie), and I went with the CPP Disc brake set. It's plenty of stopping power for my power/weight ratio on the wagon.

Brakes are important, and bigger is better, but only if you really need it, especially if money is an issue. Don't underestimate the weight of your car when adding in brakes.

I hope that helps a little.

DW

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well said deucewagon!
Also,
Don't spend all money on motor! You have to stop it too! Drum brakes belong on 100% restored trailered cars. Hard to stop in traffic when the p.o.s. prius in front of you has disc and abs. And then your out a grille, hood, but you get higher insurance rates!:devil:

my 2 cents

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
You guys have some great points!!! But really, the car isnt gonna stop any quicker with 13" rotors than it will with 11" rotors. The rotors dont give the whoa... The calipers do. Larger dia rotors help with brake fade and they do have a certain amount of additional leverage. But IMO an 11" rotor is gonna give you alot more stopping performance from the drums and really, thats all you need. So 11" VS 13" right?? 11" discs will be just fine. You will love the stopping power, as long as the complete system is tuned to the addition of the new discs up front. MC and proportioning valve, toss all the other useless hardware (combo valves and pressure switches) Make it simple..JR

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. That is what I am thinking too. That is why I will probably go with the 11" set up from Right Stuff. I am not tracking the car or anything and the brake fad will not be an issue. 11" should be just fine.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have a 68 nova with a 4 wheel cpp kit. The front rotor is 11 something not too shy of 12 and really I can lock up the wheels any time I want with 235 40 17 fron and 245 45 17 tires. I wouldn't go with the bigger kits unless the car is going to see some track time and you would overheat the stock type disk brakes and rotors. I would love some 14inch 6 pistons brakes but, its just bling if you can't fit the tire to make them work.

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
Comparing a 13" and 11" kit is not going to give you any relative feedback. CPP and the right stuff have an 11" kit, so you compare the price and product for yourself. The zero offest of the CPP kit and the price are the only "real" differences I see.

The CPP 13" kit will stomp on the 11" kit all day long. JR is correct about clamping force, but not about increase surface area and heat dissipation. The 13" brakes DO have an advantage. My 13" CPP brakes have way more force than I will ever need on the street and at the track. The kit flat out kicks azz, and your only comparable option (Wilwood, Brembo, etc.) cost more the money, but performance does not change because I cant get the traction to utilize the additional braking force.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts