Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
63 SS convertible 67 SS 4 spd
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a 66 SS. Here are a picture of the cowl tag and VIN tag. Aren't the sequence numbers supposed to be the same on both tags? Here are pictures of each.

Screen Shot 2018-11-23 at 10.10.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-23 at 10.13.12 PM.png

·
Super Moderator
4,089 Posts
Bob may not, as he has taken a vacation. He may get on the internet, but he let me know he may be radio silent awhile.

I don't know the answer to that to be certain, but I believe the VIN is different from the production sequence. The plant of production on this car is Norwood, OH, and there is a production sequence for this car, 116336. I think that's different than the VIN number that is on the tag on the pillar, and is supposed to be. There are a number of VIN tag and cowl tag experts here on SNS who know more than I do about aftermarket rosette rivets and cowl tag rivets year by year. Hopefully one or more of them would chime in. Seeing what I do from the pictures, I don't think either has been moused with, but I would like to hear from some of the true gurus.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
The trim tag and VIN tag, are not the same sequentially. The trim tag is for the body from Fisher and the VIN is identifies the vehicle as a whole. The VIN also take precedence over the trim tag as well. I'm not as familiar with 1st and 2nd tag break down, but all 3rd gens trim tags, identify the bodies as V8 cars, but the VIN will show whether it was a 4, 6 or V8.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
its a nice looking SS for sure. i saw the back of the back seat the stitching has come apart. i dont think the radio ant. cable is ran the right way, i might be wrong though. if i was selling that nova i would of spent some time cleaning up the engine compartment. as for the price i don't know if that is a fair deal or not.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did see the stitching on the back seat. Not sure if that could be fixed or replace the entire cover. Mostly wanted opinion on price and you guys are really good about pointing out flaws. Things I don't know enough about to notice. I know it's probably not the most popular color either but I had a car that color when I was 19 and am still pretty partial to it.

·
Super Moderator
4,089 Posts
Love that car. I don't know about the asking price, but it isn't way out of line for the car. Problem is, even if the body is not rusty, there are a bunch of little things that should have been done to fetch $35K: Passenger door gap, get the right carb, shifter, maybe new carpet, and detail the hell out of the car. Also, is it me or has that block seen some serious rust?

IF it drives nice and the body/car is verified for what it is, then the price isn't bad at all. Fun car right now.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
the color lemonwood yellow looks good on the 66 nova ss, the color was made for that body. i looked again at the pics. the car still has a single stage master cyl. on the brakes. so most likely all drums. drums will stop good if they are kept right an adjusted proper. an as for the price again, if it's what you want some times you have to pay up. but a body to repair rust an then a paint job is a big cost. you can also offer less cash a see where it goes. i'd be proud to have it in my garage.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Nice looking car. My dad bought a 67 SS from an old lady back in 83. It was lemonwood yellow with a black vinyl top. 2spd powerglide with a 6cylinder. He payed 800 dollars for it back then. I sure wish he would have hung onto it. My brother is now looking for the same thing.

·
14,129 Posts
The sequence number on the cowl tag is the Fisher Body build sequence number. The number on the VIN plate is the vehicle production number assigned later in the assembly process at Chevrolet. The cowl tag has no legal status, but the VIN does. In most jurisdictions it's illegal to remove or tamper with a VIN plate.

Enjoying vacation in Mexico, but it will be over soon:(.

Bob

·
14,129 Posts
The cowl tag has a 3/16 inch hole drilled just ahead of the "B' in Body by Fisher. This indicates overhead mounting brackets for front seat shoulder belts are installed, an addition to all Chevy IIs after February 1, 1966. This is an item frequently missed on repro cowl tags and is one way to tell if a tag has been replaced.

Bob

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The cowl tag has a 3/16 inch hole drilled just ahead of the "B' in Body by Fisher. This indicates overhead mounting brackets for front seat shoulder belts are installed, an addition to all Chevy IIs after February 1, 1966. This is an item frequently missed on repro cowl tags and is one way to tell if a tag has been replaced.

Bob
Thanks Bob. This is the kind of thing that always blows me away. This little piece of hidden knowledge that comes out. There is only one picture of the overhead and I can't see any overhead brackets. Should they be visible or are they under the headliner?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts