Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
If you are asking how to reattach your original, you can buy original style rivots on ebay. If you are asking how to have one remade, I think its illegal.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
http://www.trimtags.com/index.html

'64-'77 Chevrolets, Bel Air, Impalas, Chevelles, Novas, Camaros: $235

GM TRIM TAG Ordering Instructions:

If you are ordering a G.M Trim Tag, and you have a TRIM TAG, and are merely changing a code, adding or deleting an option(s) or just replacing a damaged tag you will need to make a pencil tracing or take a close-up photo of the current Trim Tag. If you are sending a pencil tracing please reprint all the current stamped data next to the tracing. This procedure will ensure that the NEW Trim Tag will be stamped precisely like your original tag. Indicate what you wish to change, add or delete. If you know the correct codes and/or sequences write them down. If not just tell us what you want to have changed. You will need to write down the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). Don't forget to give us your mailing address and a phone number, in case we have questions. Mail order to us along with your payment (personal checks are OK). We can also accept credit card payments.

If you are ordering a G.M Trim Tag and you DO NOT have a TRIM TAG, you will need to send us the following information:
1. A copy of your title or registration, which clearly shows the V.I.N and you as the owner.
2. Paint color name or code.
3. Trim (interior) color, bench or bucket, vinyl or leather; if a Camaro - Standard, Custom or Houndstooth.
4. Top color; if a convertible top or a vinyl top.
5. List of options or accessories; depending on the make, year, model and plant of manufacture options may or may not need to be coded. Examples of options are: Tinted windshield, all tinted glass, engine displacement and horsepower, transmission type (4-speed or automatic), center console, A/C, padded dash, bumper guards, rear antenna, rear speaker, rear defogger, AM/FM-8 Track, power windows/seats/antenna, fold-down rear seat, Z-28 package, SS package, etc.

If you know the correct codes and/or sequences write them down and we will verify them. Mail your order to us along with your payment (personal checks are OK). We can also accept credit card payments. Check our price list here. Don't forget your mailing address and a phone number, in case we have questions.

·
Premium Member
7,739 Posts
It's not illegal. Only tampering with the VIN tag is.

The problem you have Kid63 is a pretty-common one. It seems like a lot of idiots drilled holes through the cowl tag to mount coils and other BS.

When I bought my '64 SS back in 1982 it had the same problem.

There are a few places that can make you a new cowl tag. The thing I don't like about it is that they will also change some of the cowl tag info for you such as paint colors, options, etc. They will not make a non-SS an SS though and they will not reproduce VIN tags.

Here's a picture of my original cowl tag next to the reproduction. I think you can see why I wanted a new one.

If you look at the two tags, you'll see that I didn't change anything. Wouldn't feel right doing it plus as you can tell from the tags, my car already was a 4-speed SS.

·
13,794 Posts
If you are asking how to reattach your original, you can buy original style rivots on ebay. If you are asking how to have one remade, I think its illegal.
In most jurisdictions it's not illegal to replace a cowl tag. It is illegal to replace a VIN. Cowl tags were basically directions to plant workers and have no legal status with the car. In fact, stuff coded on cowl tags gets changed all the time...trannys, paint, interior colors, options, etc. I'm not a fan of replaced cowl tags. A car can be totally altered from original and then get a cowl tag produced that represents it's altered state as being the way it was born.

Bob

·
Premium Member
7,739 Posts
For a '63 I would not advise using Trim Tags that Johnny posted.

Here's why.....

First I'll tell you how these are made.

• Trim Tags stamps the tags using conventional letter and number stamps in a die
  • AG Back East etches a custom die and then stamps the blank

Both techniques have some advantages and disadvantages.

Trim Tags could not stamp the tag exactly like the original. On the cowl tag where it says "STYLE" and "TRIM", Trim Tags could only stamp them "ST" and "TR" (like 1966-67 Nova cowl tags have). Obviously their die wouldn't fit the extra letters.

They tried to spew some BS about how all the factory tags were different and some had it one way and some were the other.

I wasn't buying it though.

So I looked at AG Back East. They can make an exact duplicate. The only difference is that the etched dies they use produce lettering that isn't quite as sharp as the letter-stamped tags produce. It's a little "washed-out" but not too bad. Actually they look more real to me for a 50 year old tag.

The tag in my picture is the AG Back East tag.

That's where I would recommend going for a 1963 Nova. They also sell the correct rivets.

If you have a 66-67, it doesn't matter then and the Trim Tags may be your preference since it is a little crisper.

Here's the link for AG Back East: http://www.datatags.com/

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
It's not illegal. Only tampering with the VIN tag is.

The problem you have Kid63 is a pretty-common one. It seems like a lot of idiots drilled holes through the cowl tag to mount coils and other BS.

When I bought my '64 SS back in 1982 it had the same problem.

There are a few places that can make you a new cowl tag. The thing I don't like about it is that they will also change some of the cowl tag info for you such as paint colors, options, etc. They will not make a non-SS an SS though and they will not reproduce VIN tags.

Here's a picture of my original cowl tag next to the reproduction. I think you can see why I wanted a new one.

If you look at the two tags, you'll see that I didn't change anything. Wouldn't feel right doing it plus as you can tell from the tags, my car already was a 4-speed SS.

For a '63 I would not advise using Trim Tags that Johnny posted.

Here's why.....

First I'll tell you how these are made.

• Trim Tags stamps the tags using conventional letter and number stamps in a die
  • AG Back East etches a custom die and then stamps the blank

Both techniques have some advantages and disadvantages.

Trim Tags could not stamp the tag exactly like the original. On the cowl tag where it says "STYLE" and "TRIM", Trim Tags could only stamp them "ST" and "TR" (like 1966-67 Nova cowl tags have). Obviously their die wouldn't fit the extra letters.

They tried to spew some BS about how all the factory tags were different and some had it one way and some were the other.

I wasn't buying it though.

So I looked at AG Back East. They can make an exact duplicate. The only difference is that the etched dies they use produce lettering that isn't quite as sharp as the letter-stamped tags produce. It's a little "washed-out" but not too bad. Actually they look more real to me for a 50 year old tag.

The tag in my picture is the AG Back East tag.

That's where I would recommend going for a 1963 Nova.

If you have a 66-67, it doesn't matter then and the Trim Tags may be your preference since it is a little crisper.

Here's the link for AG Back East: http://www.datatags.com/
that's good info to know Jeff, i was unaware... i did a search for the company you specified.

try here: http://www.datatags.com/

·
Premium Member
7,739 Posts
Yeah the Trim Tags are nice but they couldn't make it exact for my car.

I actually have one for my car they made but I decided to have another one made by AG.

I'll try to find the Trim Tags one and post a picture of it.

·
Registered
7,041 Posts
In fact, stuff coded on cowl tags gets changed all the time...trannys, paint, interior colors, options, etc. I'm not a fan of replaced cowl tags. A car can be totally altered from original and then get a cowl tag produced that represents it's altered state as being the way it was born.

Bob
im not a fan of this either,stay original!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
How about this one I bought a 65 it had no interior and I don't even know the paint and there was no motor no trans and the guy took the cowl tang so how would I go about finding out what info was even on the tag

·
13,794 Posts
How about this one I bought a 65 it had no interior and I don't even know the paint and there was no motor no trans and the guy took the cowl tang so how would I go about finding out what info was even on the tag
Wow, not much to work with. About all you're going to know is whether it was born a V/8 or a six which can be determined from the VIN. And even that info doesn't tell you the size of engine.

Bob

·
Registered
5 Posts
my situation is, the cowl tag vin number is not the same as the door tag vin. The door tag matches with the vin on the registration though.

·
13,794 Posts
The VIN and cowl tag numbers don't match. The cowl tag number is the sequence number of the body as built by Fisher. The VIN is assigned by Chevrolet late in the production process. The cowl tag has no legal status, but the VIN does. It is illegal in most jurisdictions to remove or tamper with a VIN plate.

As for the cowl tag V/8 vs. six cylinder, Fisher Body stamped all the cowl tags as V/8, whether they ended up to be or not. The VIN is the final authority. If the VIN says your car is a six cylinder, that's how it come off the assembly line.

Bob

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks. The color says Capri Cream. Body of car is white. Color in door jambs and cowl area under hood appear to be Capri Cream.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts