Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am able to decode all but the last line of the cowl tag on my 1975 Nova SS:

Anybody know what the information on Line 4 translates to?

Thanks!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No replies!

WOW!

Very surprised that no one knows the answer to this one. I think they are option codes, but I would love to know what they translate to.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
12,008 Posts
This was in the Body manual, but again it is no help. The numbers were for internal use and apparently were not published anywhere. What options does you car have that would be out of the ordinary?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your effort Philip! The car does have some neat options, including the Z26 Supersport option. Console gauges, headlamp buzzer, underhood lamp, and special headliner are some of the unique ones. Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
12,008 Posts
My car did not have any special options, normal grannie stuff. PS, PB, AC and the bright trim around the side windows, which may have been standard.
It has a 71 on the tag where your 19 is located. The 78 rally Nova that is being parted out has nothing in the 4th line,
the two 1975 tags I have are smaller and do not have a 4th line space.

·
13,805 Posts
There's some information on cowl tags that's never been decoded, the option line on 62's is a good example. As Philip mentioned, these codes were internal directives to plant workers concerning body alterations required to accomodate specific options. If an option didn't require such an action, it didn't appear on the cowl tag. The code format frequently varied from year to year and plant to plant, so it can be difficult to figure out many of them.

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
Hello,

It would be interesting to see what plants the the tags are for. Can you post pictures of the tags mentioned? And list of options. Most of the early Nova codes have been identified with research. Maybe we can do the same with the late ones.

Greg

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting stuff. My car was built in December 74 at Tarrytown, NY. Wonder if the cowl tag is a '74 style since the '75's appear smaller.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts