Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't been on the site for quite some time? Have a question about building my 6" cowl hood with a pro stock scoop grafted on top? If I put the PS scoop on the cowl do I need to close in the back of the cowl? Curious about under hood pressure if I'm ramming air through the scoop? Car has been completely rebuilt with a full tube chassis, a 406 sbc running 10.20's at 129. Any help or info would be much appreciated!
Thanks, Todd

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
It's only got about 20 hits on it so it's basically like new. It's a Vanishing Point chassis. It would be a great car for someone looking for a top notch race car. The body is VERY straight. It's as clean on the bottom as the top. It's a carbon fiber interior, tubs, etc. with scalloped trim around all the pieces.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Most guys mount the scoop to the carbs or carb so it is attached to them. Then the hood fits over the scoop so the back could be open. If you attached your scoop to your hood you could make a seal plate anyway you want to contact the hood from the carb and still leave the back open if you want.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info McCoy! I have seen that done but the scoop I picked up for $40 had the flange cut off of it. I may have to rebuild the flange and mount it to the carb base like you talked about. Thanks again for your help.:)

·
Premium Member
2,313 Posts
Haven't been on the site for quite some time? Have a question about building my 6" cowl hood with a pro stock scoop grafted on top? If I put the PS scoop on the cowl do I need to close in the back of the cowl? Curious about under hood pressure if I'm ramming air through the scoop? Car has been completely rebuilt with a full tube chassis, a 406 sbc running 10.20's at 129. Any help or info would be much appreciated!
Thanks, Todd
As the others mentioned, it is usually more practical to mount the scoop to the carburetors and modify the hood with a U-shaped opening. This is a '65 Malibu I built a long time ago - I 'glassed a carb tray/isolator inside the scoop for the carbs. In this case, I used stands for the center carb studs with a Dzus tab for the top of the scoop.

fasteddie should recognize where this was taken - next door to Tom Weaver's shop in Livermore - a couple blocks from John's Char Burger stand.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
As the others mentioned, it is usually more practical to mount the scoop to the carburetors and modify the hood with a U-shaped opening. This is a '65 Malibu I built a long time ago - I 'glassed a carb tray/isolator inside the scoop for the carbs. In this case, I used stands for the center carb studs with a Dzus tab for the top of the scoop.

fasteddie should recognize where this was taken - next door to Tom Weaver's shop in Livermore - a couple blocks from John's Char Burger stand.
I know that area well, I see Tri Valley auto body down at the end!:yes:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for your feedback! It's really cool to have guy's being willing to share their knowledge about cars! I would love to post some pics of my Nova If I could figure out how to transfer them from photo bucket? Really a computer idiot.... thanks again!!
Todd

·
Premium Member
2,139 Posts
I glassed it in,and glassed aluminum to the back of the cowl also to seal it.I ran 9.60s and havent had a problem.

Brandon

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
Brandon, good to see you are around still. Are you going to run any of our races this season? We've got races at Woodburn and Medford as well as Pacific etc. Hope to see you...car is looking great!

·
Premium Member
2,139 Posts
Mike,I really want to.....all my time and $ has been tied up with Wifey's car
http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118236&page=11
I have been thinking about running this year....but Id have a lot of work,chassis cert is up,my licence has expired and all my N2O bottles need recert.
If anything,Ill catch up with you and Yvonne at an event.
Brandon

1 - 20 of 21 Posts