Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've never seen a first gen with a cowl hood & a hood spear.

I looked around & couldn't find a hood spear that I liked & was the right length. So I made one myself. Cut it from a 1/4" piece of flat stock, shaped it, sanded & polished it.

So what do you think??

Without:


With:






Tried to duplicate the form of the original. (just longer & fitting my new hood :D)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,746 Posts
wow looks great. How long did it take you to make it? I always wondered why no one ever ran the center spear now I know why.

Cesar
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
Very nice. looks good and adds to the hood. There is nothing i enjoy more than making my own parts. It makes it your car. :yes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,287 Posts
There was an issue of a classic industries catalogue that had a yellow 64 with a cowl hood and the spear on the front cover a couple years ago
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,252 Posts
I have always added them to the all steel Hoods I have made.
Hood Painted.jpg This hood is a 5" or 6" cowl With the flames
embossed into. I did for my 64.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It took probably 3 hours. I don't have any fancy means of cutting aluminum with out marring it. So I made the cut with a fine blade on a jigsaw. Used a coarse file to flatten the cut & a fine file to smooth it. Then sanded the tool marks out.

It is attached with 3M tape for now. I wanted to make sure I liked it before I drilled holes in my new hood :yes: .

When I make the final decision: I have some #8 threaded rod that I will make studs out of. I'll drill & tap for the studs & Loctite them in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
There was an issue of a classic industries catalogue that had a yellow 64 with a cowl hood and the spear on the front cover a couple years ago
If you have a copy, I'd love to see a pic of that & see how they did it. If not I'll be checking the interwebs.

Edit: I found a pic on the internet of that cover, but it was very small & couldn't pick up any detail.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,252 Posts
It took probably 3 hours. I don't have any fancy means of cutting aluminum with out marring it. So I made the cut with a fine blade on a jigsaw. Used a coarse file to flatten the cut & a fine file to smooth it. Then sanded the tool marks out.

It is attached with 3M tape for now. I wanted to make sure I liked it before I drilled holes in my new hood :yes: .

When I make the final decision: I have some #8 threaded rod that I will make studs out of. I'll drill & tap for the studs & Loctite them in.
You Did a Great Job and that should even hold up maybe longer then the factory piece.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I drilled & tapped the new spear & put the new studs In with Loctite.
Also put a good shine on it with some Mother's polish & the Dremil tool.


This is the part that had sweating.. I drilled 5 new holes in my new hood :eek:
After much measuring & double checking.. I got them drilled, my heart didn't stop pounding till I pulled the tape off. :turn:


No turning back now! Not that I want to.
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top