Chevy Nova Forum banner

Cowl hood or scoop hood

7K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  danthegeek 
#1 ·
Me and my bro inlaw have been discusing the advantages and he was wondering whats the advantage of a colw?
The pro stocks run a scoop and go over 200 so why would i need a cowl scoop?
This is what i ran on my datsun,seem to work very well.

See less See more
#2 ·
A cowl hood is good for the street and racing. In pro stock cars they are forcing air into the engine. On the street you want to get the heat out of the engine bay. Pro stock cars do not run that long so they are not to worried about getting heat out. With a cowl hood on the street it serves 2 things. It lets the heat out as well as lets cooler air into the engine bay for the engine. This is all IMO though.

#3 ·
I'm not a big fan of a scoop on the street and I am guessing a lot of cops aren't either. If you are running 200mph then get a scoop if not get a cowl hood. The cowl hood actually takes advantage of a low pressure area at the base of the winshield to help get air into the engine compartment. If you have a tall carb set up you might need a higher cowl hood. I started with a 2 inch on mine and now I run a tunnel ram and it still fits under a 4" cowl.

#5 ·
Plus, with the limited run time, they don't have to worry about sucking in rain, bugs, road debris, etc. A cowl hood eliminates all these issues on the street.

#7 ·
Cut and paste from another site

Cowl induction is a type of induction that increases the flow of low temperature air to an engine. A hood with a rear-facing scoop, usually located near the windshield, creates an area of low pressure which acts as a vacuum and sucks air into the engine. Since the air is being sucked in instead of forced in, both its density and temperature are lower.

#9 ·
I am guessing it's like density altitude or corrected altitude. If the density of the air is lower there is more air and less grains of water in the air thus making it like you are closer to sea level. If my car sees negative density altitude it acts totally different. There is a ton more horsepower and it starts doing stupid stuff like wheel stands.

#13 ·
You are thinking about this backwards. When the car is at speed, there is a high pressure area at the base of the windshield. This high pressure (higher then the atmospheric at that altitude) is forced into the cowl because the pressure is lower inside the cowl then at the base of the windshield.

#12 ·
A cowl scoop is only going to be effective if it is a fuctioning scoop - air pan that seals to the underside of the scoop and around the carb/throttle body opening to take advantage of the high-pressure area at the base of the windshield, feeding cooler (cooler and more oxygen dense than the air surrounding the engine), denser air. If the scoop is not sealed to the carb, the only advantage of a cowl scoop is that it can clear a taller air cleaner or induction set up.

#15 ·
Ok you guys have changed my mind, VIN63 Made me think of my dad he ran a car in grand nationals,(BACK IN THE DAY ) Nascar,and he built a air box around the air cleaner and stretched back to the windsheild inside the cowl.
It makes perfect sence.I do wonder how much it will help consistancy,cuz thats what im all about.That is what you are saying right vin63?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.