Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just gpt everything wired up and she's running! I know this can vary by preference but what is a good safe timing number and a good rpm I should shoot for? It's a 327 mild (.450 lift) cam with GM vortec heads and dual plane intake.

Not sure if it matters but the timing cover and damper would appear to be from a California car because the timing tag is welded toward the middle of the timing chain cover. I read where these engines had different timing due to emissions of course. Anyone know anything about that?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
between 10-14* of initial timing.....36 total at 3000 rpms..... 700 rpms at idle

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Do you have a 327 engine with a mild cam or an engine with a 327 mild cam?

The 12 o'clock timing tab was used in the late seventies on 305 and 350 engines. If it has a round tube next to the timing tab, it's one of those two. The tube was used in the factory to set the idle speed and timing more accurately. A mag pickup goes into the hole and reads the wide notch in the balancer. A pickup on the #1 plug wire gives a signal when the plug fires. They compute timing from #1 TDC and the spark.
I actually still have a mag pickup and timing meter I bought when I worked in the dealership. You can read the timing digitally on the meter. Something like that mounted in the car would show spark advance while you drive.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts