Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright. Fenders are off my 62 because I have to rebuild and adjust the door hinges. So they are already off the car. I am now thinking why not just buy new fenders and skip the bodywork.

There is rust on top of both fenders behind the headlights right up on top (seems like a strange place for rust on an otherwise rust free car). The only clue was slight bubble in paint, but when I took it down to metal I could punch a few small holes with screwdriver.

There are some additional holes on the very bottom right in front of both front tires.

Question 1 - I have the time and tools to patch this up and use filler to contour. But am I crazy to do that work when you can buy brand new fenders for $230?

Question 2 - do those front fenders come basically ready to bolt on? In other words, do they have the front reinforcement included or do I cut those out of my existing fenders?

Question 3 - Is there a manufacturer that I should outright avoid? There seem to be many right in the same price range. Need to know who to go with.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
5,542 Posts
Can't answer your questions, but...
If you have rust on the top of the fender be sure to look at the top of the headlight bucket. Chevy's great wisdom was to build a shelf there to hold all of the road slug on top of the headlight bucket and then keep it wet, and let the fender rust out from it...

Sorry no words of wisdom on buying new, I got lively just now and had a old fender in my parts area to use for my crunched fender...

Mark

·
Registered
107 Posts
The fenders will have the back cowl supports on them. I bought 2 new ones years ago. You're not going to get away from the body work. You'll skip the cutting,welding and filler but no sheetmetal is ready to paint from the factory. You'll still need to at leased do primers. I'd still do a few coats of poly surfacer as a good base to start blocking with.

·
Super Moderator
3,844 Posts
I'd try to hold out and buy originals for the difference in fit. Never seen new ones fit without some creative bodywork. Unless they're at the coast, Oregon shouldn't have all the front fenders rusted out. Interestingly, if you get the right size box (like a box a new bike came in), front fenders can be wrapped to ship just within UPS shipping guidelines.

·
Registered
71 Posts
new fender

Thanks guys, I decided to keep my original fenders and just weld in some patches.
My front fender was smashed in a wreck , I bought one from local supplier and it fits good. It came precoated with a black primer paint. After just hanging for a closer look I noticed it has no holes drilled in it for any molding on the sides. That may help you decide on what to do too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts