Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have a lower quarter that needs to be replaced have since I have never done this or welded for that matter before need some input. Does it matter how I cut the old piece out, I was going to start out by cutting as little material as possible out like the pic shows in red. Plan on using the cutoff wheel for this and hopefully I dont need to replace anything under the outer skin.

My girlfriends dad suggested I use the crimping tool (my dad has one I can borrow) to form a lip to I assume slid under the original metal I imagine I crimp the flatter parts and butt weld where the wheel arch begins right?

Also I have read I should use an argon gas welder I have a flux core mig I can borrow (my dad has everything) but is it worth getting the argon upgrade for said welder or can I use flux core? What thickness of wire should I use on either application?

I have also read measure a hundred times cut once, so hopefully it turns out ok seeing this will be the first panel I attempt. I have plenty of door skins to practice on, are there any books or websites worth a darn to check out?

Any help and info is greatly appreciated, thanks guys!

·
Registered
566 Posts
The flux core will splatter more than a gas shield. Less clean up time with the argon. I assume you know the basics for welding.. grind it clean, small spot welds, hop around so you don't over heat the area.

Butt welds need less heat, and warp easier. A flanged seam will be stronger, and resist warping better.

When you grind down the weld, again.. too much heat will warp the metal. Use a gator flap disc or a cut off disc and gently remove weld. Again, hop around to avoid heat build up. Personally, I like to use a wet rag to cool the work, but this WILL cause the weld to be brittle.

There is a wealth of knowledge out there. Try a seach for miller welding forum, and you should find a good one.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Spend a lot of time trimming and fitting the new piece, do this and you'll find that the welding part goes quickly. Butt welding or the flange method is up to you, flanging is nice, but it leaves a seam on the inside that you really can't get to to seal up, letting moisture in and maybe making rust. I like to butt weld pieces in like this, just take your time and don't try to weld too much at once. Definitely step up from the flux core wire, it's a much neater weld with much less mess. Just spend time lining up the wheel well lines or you will regret it later!!
Dan

·
Registered
309 Posts
cleeko or self tappin/threading sheet metal screw your replacement part in the right place(make sure its in the right spot) then cut through both pieces at the same time with a 4" cut off wheel on a 4" grinder and you will have a perfect fitting seem to but weld then follow the other advise on welding,just spot welds jumping around as to not heat up the panel too much

·
Registered
75 Posts
egads man i never thought of that ....genius!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I started to finally weld. . . on my crappy honda I figure good car to practice on. I'll try getting picks up soon :D Im learning a lot doing this, the main one is cut out bigger than the rust spot.

I had a few spots blast threw because the metal was thin from unseen rust. Hardest part is the car doesn't have a lot of after market replacement pieces or cost more than the car is worth so I have to try bending and forming everything by hand :mad: And yes the flux core is messy but my job has had cut a lot of hours so more grinding>money for argon

But hopefully soon get this thing done, oh yeah Im planning to learn how to paint on the honda as well. They have this dupli-color ready to spray paint for about 20 bucks each figure one primer, 2 colors can and one clear. Its prob not the greatest paint but I can learn how to spray and do final prep for paint, plus my daily driver gas saver will look better than it does now. .. . not sure if I want to post its current status?

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Ok, if you can weld a honda skin you will love welding the real steel skin on your car. Hondas and many cars from the 80s on up use a skin that isnt simple mild steel. Its an alloy that gets tougher the newer the car. Some of the 90s and 2000s bodies are really thin and the skin is super tough. Try to cut a piece of the newer skins off and form it, acts like spring steel. Not like the good old mild steel.

So yer learning on a difficult piece of body, great way to learn!!

You will be happy to get to the older car.

Oh, and its not argon for MIG. Its usually a mix, alot of argon, but a mix of argon and CO2. C-25. 75% argon, 25% CO2. Straight argon is used for TIG welding of many metals. JR

1 - 7 of 7 Posts