Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 73 Hatchback. Car is super clean. Guy before me painted the bumpers. I wanted to swap them out with 72 bumpers.

Since my 73 did not have shocks, just brackets would it be possible to install 72 bumpers on my 73 ?

Has anyone ever removed the hatch from the car ? if so any tips or instructions would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
134 Posts
One thing about the hatch you better get 2 more guys beside yourself because the hatch is heavy to move off and around. Just take the shocks off that hold it up and in the center there is two bolts and that it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a '74 coupe.the rear plastic filler was warped. I tried to mount the bumper to the body without the shock absorber. I couldn't get the gas filler door open enough to put gas in the car. the 72 bumper MAY have a deeper drop at the filler neck and work. I don't know.

·
6,517 Posts
Info found on a search concerning the hatchlid removal and hinge modification:

Jim

·
Registered
1972 Nova
339 Posts
I have a '74 coupe.the rear plastic filler was warped. I tried to mount the bumper to the body without the shock absorber. I couldn't get the gas filler door open enough to put gas in the car. the 72 bumper MAY have a deeper drop at the filler neck and work. I don't know.
The 72 bumper is straight across on top, with the fuel filler behind the rear bumper instead of over it, so there are some modifications to be made (plus you'll have two spots for a license plate).

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Mr Murph I think it was on here sectioned a 72 ish bumper to his 73/74 and welded it then rechromed it. His car is a green 73/74 Nova.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I just finished doing my front and rear bumpers on my 73. It's a complete bolt on front and rear with the factory 68-72 mounts. I had to do a little modification and I even kept my 73 hood and got the grill to look correct by modifying the hood lip trim mount. Yes you will still have an opening where the 73 license plate would go, in my case I put my plate in the bumper where I felt it looked betting than having the bumper plate location open. When I get around to paint and body I'll fill that area in or possibly swap the tail light panel. Much easier than I expelled once I got the ball rolling and for me the bumpers look better because of the tighter fit on the sides and they tuck in nicely. My 73 bumpers tucked looked good, but I just couldn't get past the huge gaps on the sides.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts