Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'66. The alignment guy said that he was able to adjust the passenger side, but he ran out of adjustment on the driver side. He couldn't turn in the sleeve any more in because he ran out of threads. Does this happen often? Is there an easy fix for this? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Sounds like he didn't have the steering gear centered, or non original parts installed.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now I took the tie rod sleeve off, butted the rod ends together and the wheel still looked like it needed to come in. So now I cut off a little of the spindle side tie rod and a little off of the sleeve. Now, how do I install the sleeve to where it brings in the rods? It seems that I put one side on and the it wants to push the other side away.

·
Registered
1970 Nova SS 350 Brandon, MS
560 Posts
What have you changed to require an alignment? If nothing, how did it drive before the alignment?

What does the passenger side sleeve look like? Is there a huge gap between the threaded rods with very little thread engagement into the sleeve?

I'm not familiar with the 66 steering gearbox setup...is there a splined pitman arm attached to the output of the gearbox? If so, is the pitman arm attached incorrectly, maybe a tooth or two off? Most cars/trucks/Jeeps I mess with have this type of arrangement and 'normally' the pitman arm is installed parallel with the frame rails (pointing either straight forward or straight back) when the steering gearbox is centered. I would center your steering gearbox (count turns from lock to lock then divide by 2 to find out where you need to stop turning from either lock) and look at the angle of the pitman arm relative to the frame rail. If the arm is angled, maybe it can be removed and reinstalled in a different position?

Just some thoughts...

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've had the car for a long time but never long enough driving to get an alignment.Anyways, I took the sleeve off, cut 1/4"off each end, cut 1/2" of off tie rod end and that did it. I eyeballed it and now it's good. No more tire squealing, pulling to one side. I can now take it and get it done right. Thanks.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Shortening

:turn: Why you don't feel long enough down there? :turn::turn::turn:

You put some Hair around it and IT'll align every time.......LMAO

·
Registered
1965 Nova 2 Door Hardtop
123 Posts
If I remember correctly, the inner and outer tie rods are different lengths. You might have two of the longer ones on one side.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Re: Alignment issues

Question #1 - Ask, before scheduling for an alignment, if the tech is familiar with adjusting the cam eccentrics for the camber setting AND the threaded strut rod arms for the caster adjustment. The lack of shims on the upper control arms confuse many !

Check the type of alignment machine - apparently the new Hunter computerized machine with all the options will not attach to the rear wheels on the early Novas.

The amount of tie rod end threads should be equal when threaded into the sleeve.
It should not be necessary to change the length of the tie rod ends if the correct parts are used.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts