Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my 63 on the road and have run into something strange. I'm getting a very fine film of something on the rear wheels and it even goes to the rear bumper. It's a 9" Curry rear with Wilwood calipers. The axle seals leaked right away and have been replaced. In this film is a fine, gold metallic dust. Any ideas???

·
Registered
519 Posts
I had the new SS (the sedan, not a Camaro) and that thing let dust off like nobodies business. It was everywhere though, starting from the front wheel all the way around the entire back of the car. Point being, if it is only the back of the car and not the doors also i assume there is an issue with the rear brakes dragging like stated earlier.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, the rotors aren't turning blue or anything, but I think I'll back the proportioning valve off and see if that helps???

·
Registered
659 Posts
I would jack it up and turn the rear wheels by hand. You should be able to tell if they are dragging.

·
4,545 Posts
does it feel oily at all? Moser and currie like to used sealed axle bearings with an outer o-ring and don't run an inner seal. They will almost always start throwing a fine mist of gear oil as it works its way through the grease seals of the bearings. To fix it if that is whats happening just install a pair of 51098 inner axle seals.

Miles

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hi Guys

I don't know what is happening on your side of the pond but here in the UK they removed the asbestos from brake linings about ten years ago. ever since then brake dust has been a big problem. Even new cars suffer from brake dust on the wheels, hence Black wheels becoming very popular.
I have a CCP four wheel disc kit on my nova And have found brake dust to be a real problem,(I put it Down to cheap Pads). So for me I will be buying better quality pads in future. And hope this improves things.

Cheers Ian :uk:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
does it feel oily at all? Moser and currie like to used sealed axle bearings with an outer o-ring and don't run an inner seal. They will almost always start throwing a fine mist of gear oil as it works its way through the grease seals of the bearings. To fix it if that is whats happening just install a pair of 51098 inner axle seals.

Yes, I do have a little film there. I'll try the seals, but it still seems like a lot of metallic dust? Back the prop valve off a little more???

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,664 Posts
Yes, I do have a little film there. I'll try the seals.
While your installing the seals, it may be a good idea to check your rear axle housing vent to confirm it is not clogged. I clogged/restricted axle vent will eventually cause the pinion seals and/or axle seals to leak due to the pressure build-up in your rear axle housing while driving.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts