Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Im building a 73 SS for a guy and could use a couple of rough measurements off one of your stock novas. It's an LS1 T56 swap with a turbo and I I got the car minus most front end sheetmetal as it was JUST painted.

The first measurement will be failry easy, I just need the distance from the back side of the radiator support to the firewall. As seen in the pic, the measurement nearby the approx. 1/2" hole in the rad support would be great.

Next one will be a little more tricky. I need the approx. measurement from the CLOSED hood down to the top of the frame rail just in front of the pass control arm. It looks like you can stick the tape up from underneath fairly easy in that spot and just go up til it hits the bottom of the hood and note how far it is from the top of the frame rail if you would.

Kinda hard to see in this pic:

I would sure appreciate it guys!!

thanks!
Randy

·
6,559 Posts
I can only supply what I measured on my 74 Nova but it should be the same as the 73.

I took the one end of the tape measure and placed it on the face of the firewall 8.5" from the center of the fenders firewall mounting hole and right above the firewall seam.
I then came up with a measurement of 38.75" to the CENTER of the 1/2" hole on the radiator support. This hole on the radiator support is 8.75" center to center off of the bolt holes for the fender for my 74.
Looking at your pictures I think I measured what you needed and the reason I am referencing where the tape end and distance is at on the firewall and radiator support is there "may" be a possibility of differences between the 73 and 74 radiator supports 1/2" holes. I do know the top radiator hold down plate is different and this 1/2" hole you have on your 73 and what I have on my 74 may be slightly different.

OK, the next measurement I took gave me two numbers. The bigger one (18.5") is from right in front of the control arm mount on the topside of the frame on it's highest point (the frame is two "C" sections welded together in that area) to the underside of the hood where it is not bent down with the lip for the hood insulation to slip in behind. The second measurement I came up with was 17 5/8" and this is to the lowest point of theis bent down area where the hood insulation fits into.
With that being said I probably would not have any portion of the turbo higher than 17" off of the top of the frame by the passenger control arm mount. You might be able to get it tighter to the underside of the hood but if you need this little bit of clearance I would bolt the metal you have back onto the car to take out a variable.

Hope this helps.

Jim

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar......lol..seriously though, thank you very much for taking the time. I have a max turbo height on the compressor side of 16" from the frame so I think Im okay

1 - 3 of 3 Posts