Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The throttle cable on my 65 needs some serious attention. The previous owner must have pieced it together with a hacked up cable, zip ties and hose clamps. It makes a terrible "S" bend and does not work. This is on a carbureted small block. The cable needs to make a relatively sharp s shaped bend to get over to the carburetor. Ive heard good and bad about the lokar but am unsure if it can be adapted to the stock pedal. Mr gasket has one that can be cut to length and has multiple different adaptors. I also need a new carb mounted bracket, mine is just a bent piece of metal with a hole in it. I know there are tons of options so I am looking to see what works. Any pictures would be greatly appreciated. I think that part that will make it challenging is the tight s bend but obviously I'm not the only one doing this. Thanks everyone!!

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,426 Posts
Same as jarhead64, the Smith Racecraft fits and works awesome. Just by chance I found one on CL that was used for a mock up then the guy went EFI for $100. Fit perfect in the stock mounting holes on my 72.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just to clarify The factory one bolts to the firewall correct? My current one is but I have no idea what it's from, definitely not factory

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,426 Posts
Yes, it's diamond shaped little plate with 2 holes that mounts to the fire wall.

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
5,113 Posts
Hey . . . mc1984ss ,

Here's the very first thing you need : BUY You a Factory Assembly Manual ( FAM ) .
for your Year NOVA .
They are around $ 20 - - $ 25 . . . . . . & worth every dollar . . . . . it would show
your year factory Throttle Pedal assembly & throttle linkage . (Didn't we Talk ? ) .
I have the 'exact' carb "cable mount" as pictured above ( and only a Chev 6 motor , one of the BEST &
Easy carb "linkage mounts" . . . . (for any 4bbl carb . . . . either cable or rod linkage) .

later ,
jim
69 Nova , 250 / 6 engine .

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey . . . mc1984ss ,

Here's the very first thing you need : BUY You a Factory Assembly Manual ( FAM ) .
for your Year NOVA .
They are around $ 20 - - $ 25 . . . . . . & worth every dollar . . . . . it would show
your year factory Throttle Pedal assembly & throttle linkage . (Didn't we Talk ? ) .
I have the 'exact' carb "cable mount" as pictured above ( and only a Chev 6 motor , one of the BEST &
Easy carb "linkage mounts" . . . . (for any 4bbl carb . . . . either cable or rod linkage) .

later ,
jim
69 Nova , 250 / 6 engine .
First thng I did was join this site
Second, I bought a Nova
Third I did buy the manual,

I apologise I actually asked the question before I got a chance to look through the manual. I've gotten a lot of help here from everyone and sometimes it's just easier to ask.

·
Registered
1967 Nova SS
691 Posts
First thng I did was join this site
Second, I bought a Nova
Third I did buy the manual,

I apologise I actually asked the question before I got a chance to look through the manual. I've gotten a lot of help here from everyone and sometimes it's just easier to ask.
I would say You got your priorities in the right order. Fourth being, ask any question here.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Can you post a picture of your current set up? Maybe something is missing or not set up right.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well..... prepare to have your mind blown!!!! Keep in mind this is not my setup it's how I got the car which is fine, it's fixable. I have been curious all along if the hole in the firewall is even in the right spot? See what I mean about the sharp "S" bend it needs to make?
Ive read tons of posts on this site and it sounds like the tight s bend is pretty normal. Twin shadows mentioned in another post that I might be able to convert to a third gen pedal and cable. Well this morning I think I learned that this pedal is from a third gen but obviously its been modified, not to mention cracked.
I'm looking at replacing the pedal assembly, cable and cable mount at carb.

Attachments

·
Registered
675 Posts
Well..... prepare to have your mind blown!!!! Keep in mind this is not my setup it's how I got the car which is fine, it's fixable. I have been curious all along if the hole in the firewall is even in the right spot? See what I mean about the sharp "S" bend it needs to make?
Ive read tons of posts on this site and it sounds like the tight s bend is pretty normal. Twin shadows mentioned in another post that I might be able to convert to a third gen pedal and cable. Well this morning I think I learned that this pedal is from a third gen but obviously its been modified, not to mention cracked.
I'm looking at replacing the pedal assembly, cable and cable mount at carb.
The S bend on the Lokar setup is much worse than yours. It comes out right behind the valve cover. Don't buy one. I don't have a picture of it to show you, but it's not going to last long.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is good to know thank you. Sounds like there are a lot of unhappy lokar customers here

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I found an old post where someone said it hit the wiper motor bit I'm thinking he may have had the race pedal. Can anyone verify that the smith pedal clears the wiper motor?
Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
1968 Chevy II Nova, Central Arkansas
2,085 Posts
Can anyone verify that the smith pedal clears the wiper motor?
I had one on my 63 and it didn't have any clearance problems of any kind. It was a quality piece.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts