Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have inquired a 1963 Nova Convertible(I Hope) ,I also have determend the front end is from a 1962 ,smaller hood hindges at mounting point to fenders ,it has 62 front fenders ,The front end looks as if the paint matches inside the firewall to the front end inner fender wells (which doesnt mean it wasnt added and painted after factory put it together.
The Vin is# 30467W104202 maybe i translated it wrong and this is a 1962 ,not a 1963 ,the engine data place on firewall has been removed ,so that is all i have to identify this car.
Any help

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
The first # in the VIN states it's a 63.

I doubt it would've left the factory with a 62 front end. It was probably wrecked at one time, and replaced with a 62 front clip.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1962 on a 1963 nova

I thought that maybe if it was a early prouduction 1963 Car that the factory might have used some 1962 parts on a 1963 car .
I have seen this on other Gm cars ,so i thought that it might be possible on the nova.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
Is the grille a 62? or 63?

I could kinda see the hinges being left over, but not fenders or grille or anything obvious.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Believe it or not I bought the car on eBay in my home town for 630.00 ,did not have any suspension ,drive train or interior.
They have just replaced both quarter panels and rockers ,Floors still look pretty good as well as the truck bed.
Pretty much just got the body and a front end .
I bought a 62 4 door that was rusted out for 300.00 and used the suspension to get the 63 up on wheels .
After getting a hold of a correct 63 194 motor and power-glide with shifter on tail-housing ,I was going to put in the car and notice this front end differences.
I have inquired a few parts for the car ,but still got a LOT to go.
Well now i sure it is a 63 ,I need to get the right front end .
The claimed it was a SS and i do see the signs of the SS trim the would have been down the center of the dash.
Any other signs that could tell me it is a true Super sport
Thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
The claimed it was a SS and i do see the signs of the SS trim the would have been down the center of the dash.
Any other signs that could tell me it is a true Super sport
Thanks for the help
Does the car have any "peak" moulding on it? Is the cove area on the rear of the car (trunk lid and tail light area) painted silver? Bucket seat floor braces?

·
13,706 Posts
Check for real guages....fuel, battery, temp and oil. Only SS's had these. Also, any sign of console brackets on the center hump and a wire to the light in the rear of the console. The powerglide selector on the SS was on the floor, not on the column (if it was 3 speed manual, it would be on the column). Look for signs of SS badges on the trunk lid cove and glove box.

Bob

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No gauges to go by ,No trim left on car and the rear panel looks like the rest of the car in need of paint.
It does have floor braces and mounts for the center console and a wire that looks like in went to the rear of the console,so i guess it a true SS.
The glove box is gone ,but i see were the dash was painted and left a mark down the center of the dash were their was some trim,that went right threw to the glove box.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
If the holes in the dash are factory and you have the floor brackets for the buckets, I would say it is an SS.

By the way, according to the vin # the car would have been manufactured in the 4th week of October 1962. But that would have been to far into the production run to put 62 parts on it, I think.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts