Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
that was

when going to a national event was the real deal,,, i remember watching cars like that for hours. Now its mid track stutter racing on a 10.90 index

I think how he was knocking them dead with the 6 cyl,,, he wasn't limited to one carb while the V-8s were. If i remember right , he ran 3- 650 2 barrels

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Thats some neat old time racin. Great to watch for hours as stated above..
Thanks for sharing.!!

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
Ahhh, those where the good ol' days! 4 speed shifting at 8000-9000 rpm, I could watch those races all day!! Nice find, Thanks!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
OMG!!!:devil:

I can watch 4 speed racing all day! thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Those high winding small blocks sure do sound sweet. The high winding small blocks are the best part of comp eliminator now.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cotton perry

hey tbills66 u do realize that cotton used a 301 -6 w/3 carbs?
also consider that his car was metal and the vettes r fiberglass
which means that they should have beat him (less weight), NOT!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I remember going to our local track and watching him as a teenager, he is still around and doing good. He actually is into racing dirt track now I beleive he actually has his nephews drive the cars. At our anual drivers meeting this year they honored him and had video running of some of the races the whole time. At the end of the night he got up and made a speech.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
interesting article

i found on one of those sites the video came from

http://www.competitionplus.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=10644&Itemid=6

I tell ya , it amazes me still they got rid of the modified production class. It was a crowd pleaser. A friend of my dads had one back then , 76 Monza , 292 ci 5 speed , 617 gear , left the line at 11,000 and shifted at 10,000. It ran 10.30's around 130 mph. I guess its why i still get miffed when they break on the small engines in this site. Yeah the big ones are awesume too , but what the small ones used to do was simply amazing. Prolly the cost would be astronomical to build one of 'em in todays updated world. Just think if they had the valve springs available today back then.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
hey tbills66 u do realize that cotton used a 301 -6 w/3 carbs?
also consider that his car was metal and the vettes r fiberglass
which means that they should have beat him (less weight), NOT!
Yea I do know that it was a 6 cylinder, but I was talking about the other car. LOL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts