Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called and was quoted in the 3500 neighborhood to have mini tubs, spring relocate, 8.8 shortened to work, new springs and I believe new bushings but I dont remember them being discussed.
Another shop gave the same price for the same work with a LSD 9" reusing springs.

I just bought an 8.8 for 300 with a 4.11 limited disk to disk brake cables included.
Worth it to go for the 9" and sell the 8.8 to buy a new set of springs?

·
Registered
354 Posts
I bought the DSE tubs, I think they were in the neighborhood of $400 for the pair. I did the work myself and it was fairly involved. I’m not positive you need to narrow the rear if you are buying new wheels. I did have my 10 bolt narrowed plus a new posi diff, gears, Ford ends to eliminate c-clips $60 for the Moser ends, $450 for the diff, $300 for the gears, $125 for the bearing kit, $150 for the cover and $500 to have it all put together with 30 spline axles. I still don’t have the brakes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
178 Posts
That's funny Kimmer, I haven't gotten to that point yet but that's exactly what I'm gonna do with my 10 bolt. Already have the posi diff and gears. Still need to get the bearing kit, Torino ends and cut down the tubes. I have the rear discs just haven't installed them yet.

Signal hack- not sure what your skill level is and what tools you have but, I spliced in sheet metal to widen my tubs because I have to do everything on a budget and couldn't afford the DSE tubs. Anyway, it is a good bit of work to mini tub but it's not impossible to do yourself. As far as the diff setup, I don't know how to do that so I will have a shop set mine up.

In short, $3500 sounds steep for prices around Houston, TX. But it also buys piece of mind that a shop did it, warranty, and sitting back having a beer while they do the work.

Good luck making the decision and let us know what you do.

·
Registered
354 Posts
That's funny Kimmer, I haven't gotten to that point yet but that's exactly what I'm gonna do with my 10 bolt. Already have the posi diff and gears. Still need to get the bearing kit, Torino ends and cut down the tubes. I have the rear discs just haven't installed them yet.

Signal hack- not sure what your skill level is and what tools you have but, I spliced in sheet metal to widen my tubs because I have to do everything on a budget and couldn't afford the DSE tubs. Anyway, it is a good bit of work to mini tub but it's not impossible to do yourself. As far as the diff setup, I don't know how to do that so I will have a shop set mine up.

In short, $3500 sounds steep for prices around Houston, TX. But it also buys piece of mind that a shop did it, warranty, and sitting back having a beer while they do the work.

Good luck making the decision and let us know what you do.
Yes, I let a shop with an axle jig put the ends on for me. That would have cost $100 but I screwed up and ordered 2 sets of the Torino ends, which he gladly took as payment for the job. I lucked out with diff builder. Ran into a guy at the swap meet at LMS in Charlotte. It was the owner of Spraker racing. Ken Spraker I think. Ended up getting him to build the rear which was a great experience. Really awesome guy, his wife too.

If memory serves correctly, my housing wound up being within 0.25” of an s10 pickup truck. I think I took 3” off each side of the Nova rear to arrive there. 17x11 rear wheels with 5 (maybe 6) inches of backspace.

You can buy a built 12 bolt from Strange Engineering for about $2500 + tax and shipping. If had to venture a guess at how many man hours a shop would need to do the tubs...I’d guess 24. It took me a lot longer than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
Not sure where I read/saw it(DSE Installation video I believe) but I think DSE says it takes 40 hours for an experienced tech and 60 for those with less experience..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts