Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know i know, it's not a nova but my girlfriend ended trading her BMW for a corvair(actually i made the trade for her) she likes the cute little looking classic or atleast thats what she called it. My thing is im looking for someone who actually knows how to dial in the motor. It runs but there is some linkage adjusting and carb tuning but all in all its a very sharp car. Any info is greatly appreciated:yes:

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
You should send a PM to vaporlock. He is in to 'vairs too, and I'm sure he can help you out with the information you will need to dial it in.

Good luck and welcome to the site!!:)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a 62 all stock with four single barrel carbs so i believe its the 140 hp motor it runs a little rough but i'm not too familiar with that style engine. So on that note she is willing to bring it on down. I know the linkage part of it is there but not too sure if it's missing any parts. The carbs are rochester and not weber or any aftermarket deal. I believe it's alittle out of timing cuz the last owner upgraded to a electronic dist so no more points.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
They must have changed the motor also. I didn't think the 140 horse motor was out in 62? Well anyway I can bring some tools and see if we can get it adjusted a little better.
Has she thrown the fan belt yet?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not 2 sure on da motor and wut it is but were game on bringin the corvair and trying to tweek it to run better. Not too sure what u mean about the fan?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had a girlfriend do pretty much the same thing several years ago, she picked up a 62 moredoor and thought it was the cutest thing ever....

The 140/quad carbs was a later setup, the earlies all had dual carbs as far as I know.

I'm pretty sure all corvairs pretty much came with both a sand bag and a spare fan belt in the trunk from the factory :D :D :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I kinda thought the carb setup was a later year but wasn't too sure and when i went online for more info i coudn't find anything for that year in a four carb set up. That may be why the car kinda boggs when i give it gas and i fixed a little bit of one of the carbs it was not even doin anything when i move the throtle link

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
Over the years I've had close to ten corvairs from from '64 to '69. I think the last one I owned was in '83. The 140 four carb engine started production in 1965 and lasted to '69. Do yourself a favor and buy a Unisyn. It'll save a bunch of headaches as far as adjusting those carbs.
I don't know if this is a good deal but it looks like this:http://www.jegs.com/p/Edelbrock/Edelbrock-Uni-Syn/743621/10002/-1

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanx Firebird69racer for your help, but i just picked up a similar tool its called a worm or something? I went ahead and fixed most of the linkage problems and adjusted to carb throttle so they all breath easier and in unisens so i got that down and even adjusted the air to 3 turns out and it's sounds really good but when i put it in drive it shakes like it wants to turn off. The take off is a litle rough but when its goin around 10mph and up it feels really good. I never knew how to time cars and i dont even have a timing gun so im thinking that may be my next obstacle?

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
I can bring my timing light.
I am not sure if the quad carbs had this but on the 2 single carbs they had a balance tube (not sure if that is the proper name for it) that went between the carb on each side. See if you have one. I remember that I took mine off and it ran like dodo.
Also look inside the carbs as you give it gas and see if the acc. pump is squirting gas into the carbs. That will cause a stumble also.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Never owned a Corvair but plenty of dual Weber powered VW's.
You get the following two things nailed down and they will be music to your ears:
With the engine off-:eek:
1. Slowly move the linkage and make sure it leaves the ideal stops on each carb at the same EXACT time.
2. Slowly move the linkage to WOT and make sure it hits WOT on each carb at the EXACT same time.

Nothing worse then having 48's out sink.

Chuck
PS
If it doesn't want to ideal it may be a vacuum leak. Some dual carb cars had a vacuum tube ran between all the carbs to help keep them in sink don't know if that's true with yours or not.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanx again guys for all ur input. I actually had it running good for a few minutes but i noticed that my linkage is not very sturdy and it went out of wack again so tomorow i'm not working so im dedicating the day to try and make it run right. I called alot of places for some info and that was a great help so with the info from here and callin around im gonna see what i can do. I know it'll be runnin good enough for the sunday bbq and maybe we'll try and get it knocked out:D

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
Never owned a Corvair but plenty of dual Weber powered VW's.
You get the following two things nailed down and they will be music to your ears:
With the engine off-:eek:
1. Slowly move the linkage and make sure it leaves the ideal stops on each carb at the same EXACT time.
2. Slowly move the linkage to WOT and make sure it hits WOT on each carb at the EXACT same time.

Nothing worse then having 48's out sink.

Chuck
PS
If it doesn't want to ideal it may be a vacuum leak. Some dual carb cars had a vacuum tube ran between all the carbs to help keep them in sink don't know if that's true with yours or not.
Had a '68 with a bus tranny and a 2180 I built from a brand new SCAT block.

Those damn 48's were a PITA to keep synced...:D

Has anyone thought of dropping a 914 engine into a corvair?

John

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
Definitely not stock if it's a 140HP (164 ci). the highest horsepower offered in the first gen 'vair was 150 (turbo, 62(?) and '63, 145 ci). The '64 stepped up to 180 HP turbo and 164 cubes. If I recall correctly, the 140 HP engine was introduced in 1965 and the 180 hp turbo was offered as an option as well, both 164 cubes. The base model for 65 was 110 hp. Earlier base models had like 85 hp, 95 hp and 102 hp.

They're VERY fun cars. I've had several and was raised with them. Enjoy!

The trick to dialing those carbs in is to establish a baseline using a Unisyn guage. Then, whatever you do to one primary car, you do to the other primary carb and whatever you do to one secondary carb, you do to the other secondary carb. Those should be a progressive linkage with the carbs closest to the center of the head being the primary carbs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts