Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 65 nova and just got a set of corvair buckets that fold straight forward. For me to adapt these to my car I have a few questions.

Will nova seat buns and seat covers fit these?

Do I need a different set of tracks?

whats needed for mounting - I think they make weld-in brackets right?

Thanks for any help. I'm going to have lots of questions over the next couple of years. lol

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
In short... Yes, Yes and Yes! Just make sure the seat bottoms measure 20.5 NOT 21.5 inches at the widest part of the base (toward the front) and you should be fine.

Chuck

·
Registered
338 Posts
1965 bench seat to corvair buckets swap

I don't know about the seat cover question.
I do have info on the seat mounting hardware.:yes:

The Parts Place Inc.
#IN2448N - 1962-74 Nova/Chevy II bucket seat mounting bracket set.
-2 pieces, does 1 bucket, welds to floor pan - universal - $29/set.
#IN563 - 1962-67 Nova/Chevy II bucket seat mounting bracket set.
- 4 pieces, does both buckets, bolts to floor pan - repro - $129/set.
http://www.thepartsplaceinc.com/ocatalog/part.asp?VID=5&YearList=1965

Classic Industries - toll free order line 800-854-1280
web address: www.classicindustries.com
See online 2009 Nova/Chevy II Catalog - page 20

1966-71 Bucket Seat Track Adjuster
#69171 1966-71 LH - $99.99 set
#69172 1966-71 RH - $99.99 set

1964-67 Bucket Seat Frame Supports
#14647 1964-67 - 4 pieces - $134.99 set

1968-72 Bucket Seat Brackets
#14633 -1968-72 - $119.99 set

That all for now.:D

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
Corvair Seats

When I had my 64 SS many years ago I put a set of Corvair buckets in it, not sure of the year, until I could find the correct Nova seats. My car was an SS so the mounting points were already there and the Corvair seats didn't bolt right up. And, believe it or not, they were WIDER than the correct Nova seats. The bottoms almost touched near the front of the seats....they worked until I found the correct seats.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In short... Yes, Yes and Yes! Just make sure the seat bottoms measure 20.5 NOT 21.5 inches at the widest part of the base (toward the front) and you should be fine.

Chuck

ok measured the bottom of the seat. not the track .and it's close to 22" wear the vinyl ends on the bottom of the seat in the front. So I'm guessing i'm not as lucky as I was hoping.

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
ok measured the bottom of the seat. not the track .and it's close to 22" wear the vinyl ends on the bottom of the seat in the front. So I'm guessing i'm not as lucky as I was hoping.
And yet, you say that the seats fold straight forward, which would indicate they should be the '65 and later seats. In my experience, the wider seats should fold at an angle. I guess I'm stumped. This goes against what I thought I knew. I have a set of each. My '63 seats are wider than my '65 seats (which I have upholstered in a '65 Chevelle pattern). I'd be willing to swap pictures with you to see if we can figure out what you have. PM me your email address and I'll see if I can help.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
That is interesting! It's been generally assumed (we know how wrong that is), that the Corvair, Nova, Chevelle and others shared seats and I was told that the frames interchanged given same years. This is apparently not the case. From what I can see of your seats, it looks like they have the wider dimension of the early Nova seats, but they fold forward instead of at an angle.

What you may be able to do, if you like any of the earlier upholstery patterns, is use a seat upholstery kit from a '63. Providing the back seat dimensions are the same, this could be the best way to get a "matching" interior.

You may want to give a call to Rudy at Modern Performance Classics. He seems to know alot about the running changes, at least for the Nova.

I hope this helps.

Chuck

·
Registered
639 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts