Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking to see if there is a set of correct swap headers for the '64 Novas that are the "go to" headers common with most V8 swaps. The previous owner installed a set of long tubes when he swapped in the 307 and the passenger side collector taps the floor pan at idle. This could be a simple fix but these headers are ugly.
On another note, If I swapped the 307 out for a 350, would these headers still work or does the 350 sit higher?

·
Registered
527 Posts
From my own research, not experience (i'm still building and haven't bought) it appears that hooker part #2243 or fender well #2214s are the way to go.

2243s run next to the block, clear most shift linkage and fit/look good. If you have a standard, they may need some massaging near the clutch z-bar linkage.

2214s run thru the fender well, clear most shift linkage but the brake lines must be re-routed to make these fit. Also need to cut the fender well so the headers can go through. More work, but sound amazing and make it easier to check spark plugs since tubes run horizontal instead of vertical.

Both of these can be used on 283, 305, 307, 327, 350, 383, 400 blocks.

Use copper or thick aluminum gaskets to get a tight seal. Paper gaskets burn out if you don't torque them in during several heat cycles.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Headers

I agree, the Hooker Super Comp #2243 is the way to go, see attached photos, and these are what we just installed on my 64 SS build. No contact or interference issues at all. New engine just started and sounds great… Ill send another 3 photos shortly...

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Just a warning... Fender well headers are a pain in the ***! I can only get my plugs from underneath the car, same goes for most of the bolts for the headers, and I am forced to run a 3.5 front wheel. The bigger the wheel, the more turning radius you lose as it takes up space in your fender well. They aren't easy to install either, p.o. Beat the hell out of the passenger side to get it in :mad: I believe you gotta lift the motor a lil to get that side in, but said po decided to f em up instead.

Besides that...mixed with super 44s that dump out the side near the back of the door makes my mild lil 327 sound really pissed off :D

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Oh, I don't think you can run power brakes either with the fender wells... Gotta get creative with the heater hoses too (or delete the heater)

·
Registered
373 Posts
Doug's tri-y headers are available from classic industries and they fit great. I also run Remflex graphite gaskets. The fit is excellent on these headers. the passenger side will install easily from the ground with the Nova up in the air on jack stands. Driver side will drop in from the top with the drivers side motor mount loosened and the engine lifted slightly.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Headers

it's custom, I showed a photo of what I wanted and they made it happen, the x-pipe and mufflers I got through Summit and are Magnaflow stainless.

Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts