Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never been able to get a good look at the 66 ss hubcaps- I believe there is one that came on the car in 66 that had the ss on the cap and was a full wheel cap on the 14 inch tires is that correct? Was that the only correct cap for the 66 ss - did some have different hubcaps or if an ss was ordered did it come with the full cap with the ss in the center- saw a picture in an old hub cap catalog and listed just one for the 66 ss nova a full cap with the center in ss with ribs down the sides and recessed background- Is that the only hubcap accetable as an original on a ss 66 nova- have rally wheels on 15 inch rears and 14inch fronts which is not correct but looks good. Have a set of 14 inch rims that I believe are for the car but have the notches for a small cap- how would I see what the options are- any dog dish caps that came on 66s that might look good on the rims- Somehow I feel there was only one for the 66 ss and that was the full cap ss. Scarce as hens teeth- any ideas or should I stay with the rally wheels- car fairly original so I try to work as close to original parts as possibe- Is there a readable brochure that shows the wheel covers offered in 66. Driving me nuts since I saw the picture and the hubcap store came up with one in his stock. Not in great shape but matched the catalogue and was the only cap listed for a 66 nova ss. Any chance that cap went on another car or was ever reproduced-

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
there was only one standard SS hubcap for 66. but there were a couple optional ones. one mag simulated wheel cover, and a simulated wire wheel cover.

The optional ones I listed are fairly rare, and can bring good money for nice ones. The standard SS pieces are common, and I see the for sale everywhere at our local swap meet. i even have a set sitting in the garage.

Rally's were'nt available on a Nova until 67.

SS's also all had 14" wheels.

·
13,689 Posts
The SS wheel cover you describe came standard on all 1966 Chevy II Nova Super Sports. There was an optional simulated wire wheel cover with a 3 prong spinner and a simulated mag wheel cover. Here's a pic link to the mag.

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17305&d=1245282525

There were also other wheel covers for other 1966 models. including dog dish caps that came standard on Chevy II 100 series cars. Here's a pic of my former L79 with simulated wire covers. Hope this helps.

Bob

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
I believe these are the correct optional special order spoke hub caps for 65-66 and could be considered correct for an s/s car

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Simulated wire caps and whitewalls is such a classy look for a '66 hardtop. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts