Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 63 coupe Nova with a 250 six and use it around town and some 200 mile trips then it sits for a month. I use 20-50 oil. It usually used to get only 30 weight but I changed at the advise of a nova nut. I do not race it but the summers get hot in so cal and it always seems the six runs hot but that may just be normal. Is this oil weight ok to use as I am afraid to take to Jiffy Lube as they never have the right weight and they want to put 10-40 in it. What is the advise of you guys? The engine has around 5000 miles on it after a rebuild and runs nice.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
For an old engine, I like to actually use Shell Rotella Diesel 15-40 in it. Its not as good as it used to be but it has higher levels of zinc and phosphorus which are important for flat tappet cam engines. As far as weight, as long as your oil pressure is acceptable and the engine isn't doing anything funny, I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Heavier oil for the most part is good for a warm fuzzy feeling when you can see the oil pressure gauge go higher. I ran the diesel oil in my 1000 hp race engines with no issues.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I run the Valvoline Racing VR1 oil in my older cars because of the higher zinc levels. They make it in a couple weights including 30wt and 20w50. Like stated above, as long as your oil pressure is good, don't worry about it. However, on a pretty fresh rebuild, I'd run 30wt.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
The ZDDP and other additives in the Rotella are good for the older engines, but I don't like wasting horsepower driving heavy oil through the oil pump unnecessarily. I would use the lightest oil that allows you to maintain proper oil pressure throughout the operating range. I use either fully synthetic 5W 30 (winter) or 10W 30 (summer) in my Nova, but I have a roller cam, and don't need the ZDDP like the flat-tappet cams do.

·
Super Moderator
3,839 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate to run the Rotella, especially on an older, more worn engine. I agree with not running too heavy an oil, but few owners of I-6 cars have a gauge in them. It's possible, too, to temporarily put an oil gauge on the car to try out a different oil weight if you wanted to go that far, and check hot running and hot idle pressure.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Another vote for 15w-40 Rotella from this guy as well. While their additive package has dwindled a little from its earlier days, it's still a very good oil for very little money.

·
Premium Member
3,819 Posts
I have been using 20-50 in my 250 inline for about 10 years. I do not drive it much during the winter months.

Seems to work for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts