Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hi all

I looked through the forum and in google and I can't seem to find what I am looking for. What is the correct defogger for a 1970 Nova? I see two different styles. One has a rounded edge and I have seen those in GM cars but they are usually mounted on the drivers side rear window. The other style is a rectangular style and I am not sure that is correct for the 1970 model. Can someone help me with this? Which one was the one that would have been ordered for 1970.

Thanks

Joe

·
5,132 Posts
68-74 had a rectangular grille in the middle of the package tray if you had the rear defrost option.
BTW, you can't post want ads in this forum.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
68-74 had a rectangular grille in the middle of the package tray if you had the rear defrost option.
BTW, you can't post want ads in this forum.
Ummm first thank you...but where did I post a wanted?? I am asking for help on the correct defogger. Is that not allowed?

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
hey j/g …………. look at this 76 with "rear window defroster" unit ; mounted between his rear 'speakers' .

Not the best picture --- just an easy picture I found --- My 73 4dr parts car HAS a rear window 'defroster' unit. IT is NOT centered mounted --- but, mounted more to the drivers side ( I can get a picture , if you like ) . This 73 car IS pure junk - - - - -
(my parts car) ….. plain jane, I-6, 4dr, nothing car …….. but, has that option.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
jg . . . . . this is a back-window picture of my 73 4dr Nova - rear window defroster unit (complete , with broken top cover) .
# 1 - -

and, Yes - I was wrong (again) , look at the window 'molding clip' , in the center of the rear window.

# 2 - - I broke that 'plastic cover' . . . . may never find another. but, the unit looks complete, under the package tray.
I have heard about "rear window defrosters" , , , but have NEVER seen one . . . . before . That's the 'blower-motor & fan cage' ; on the left side.

Still kinda cool - - - to fit in my 69 .

# 3 - - found at "HeartBeatCity.com"

# 4 - - then, I found this one ………… with the "better - than - New - Price" .

later , jim

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jg . . . . . this is a back-window picture of my 73 4dr Nova - rear window defroster unit (complete , with broken top cover) .
# 1 - -
View attachment 403298

and, Yes - I was wrong (again) , look at the window 'molding clip' , in the center of the rear window.

# 2 - - I broke that 'plastic cover' . . . . may never find another. but, the unit looks complete, under the package tray.
I have heard about "rear window defrosters" , , , but have NEVER seen one . . . . before . That's the 'blower-motor & fan cage' ; on the left side.
View attachment 403299

Still kinda cool - - - to fit in my 69 .

# 3 - - found at "HeartBeatCity.com"

# 4 - - then, I found this one ………… with the "better - than - New - Price" .

later , jim
Thank you Jim, that was VERY informative. I appreciate your help :)

·
6,502 Posts
While the below is info mostly for the 1973/74 Nova Hatchback, the switch and wiring should be mostly the same as well as the switch location and the template used for locating the cuts in the dash.

Yep even on my 68, a defroster would go in the middle of the rear package shelf. The metal is cutout already for it.

The "other" Jim :)

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
C J . . .. nice photo .

I can't find the "defroster switch" . wiring - yes . switch Bezel - yes . I haven't looked for a "cover plate" - yet .
Then, HBC has a complete used unit = for $ 8000.00 , (well almost) (same thing) . . . . . and, they show a switch ; but
that's for a convertible top (different - looks the same style, but no).
I'm am going to remove my RW-Der ; and I think the wiring may be good to go - - - but, there is no dash
switch . I'll just find a 'toggle' ………….. jim p.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts