Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally got the car back together and moving today. The radiator leak, I thought was coming from the drain bung I had welded in, was actually a leak from the upper hose clamp. The way it was spraying made it look like the drain bung was leaking. I replaced the upper hose clamp with a new one and it held ~20 PSI just fine. Since my cap is rated at 16, I'm in good shape.

I took it for a spin, after getting it up to temp in the garage, and didn't ever see 180* the whole time I was out. Most of the time, during the 3 or 4 miles I buzzed around at 25-35 mph, the coolant temp was 165. This was with outside air temps in the mid 50's. :D :D At least I know the transmission saw 180* because the trans fluid cooling fan kicked on. :)

I think I'm in good shape for some hot days this summer. I haven't even installed a fan shroud yet and given today's performance, I'm not sure I need to. The new Derale ridid fan I put on there is pulling MASSIVE amounts of air. Standing by the driver's door with the hood open, it blasts me with air. I can even feel the draw when I place my hand in front of the radiator. :cool:

Stewart Stage II Water Pump + Aluminum Rad + Hi-flow thermo + Better Fan = Happy Camper and an even happier Nova. :) Problem fixed.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Atta boy, Rex!!! :) Best news Ive heard all day.
Id still put the shroud on though.

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
68chevyll said:
I second the shroud idea.
I third it, but it's a nice to have thing, not a necessary thing at this point. It'll require me making one from scratch since my configuration isn't anywhere near OEM anymore. It'll go on the future project list. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I know how them "future project lists" work, Rex ;)
It means Rex is goin SHROUDLESS!!! :D

P.S. You never know, you may even be able to find one thatll fit it without having to make one from scratch, Rex.

·
Premium Member
2,139 Posts
Rex,at least have a partial shroud to protect yourself. The burns on your wrist will be nothing compaired to severing a finger or two.
Glad you got er' going. Looks like someone is going to the track next weekend.
Brandon

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
novas4life said:
Rex,at least have a partial shroud to protect yourself. The burns on your wrist will be nothing compaired to severing a finger or two.
Glad you got er' going. Looks like someone is going to the track next weekend.
Brandon
I ain't racing alone. Anyone close by wanna come and play too?? Hint hint.. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,139 Posts
Sure,If in 6 days I can get and install a 3rd member,driveshaft,brake lines,line lock, coil over mounting kit,wheels and tires and a fuel cell.......:p
Brandon
But if your runnin' I'll be there!

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
NovatoriusRex said:
I ain't racing alone. Anyone close by wanna come and play too?? Hint hint.. :rolleyes:

Good job. Feels great driving around and not having to worry about getting stuck in traffic doesn't it. I know the feeling.:rolleyes: I'm one rocker stud away from firing her up, so if there is no major issues and the weather holds I will be out there this weekend.:)

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Repointer said:
Good job. Feels great driving around and not having to worry about getting stuck in traffic doesn't it. I know the feeling.:rolleyes: I'm one rocker stud away from firing her up, so if there is no major issues and the weather holds I will be out there this weekend.:)
Yes, it does feel good not to have to worry about being stuck in traffic. On Sunday, I kept expecting something to start blowing coolant all over the inside of the engine bay. Everything kept it's seal though. :D

The early weather reports are looking good for next Saturday, possibly even Friday night. Of course, you know how fickle the weather guys are here in Oregon though. :rolleyes: I'm ready to play and/or spectate at the track if you guys are.

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, I'm going to resurrect this old thread for a second to report my the results of my first 100* cruise with the new cooling system.

I was extremely surprised to see the motor still struggling to get to 180*, even after replacing the old hi-flow 180* (which I think was a mislabeled 165*) thermostat with a new hi-flow 180* one.

The motor idled and ran and had the temp gauge pegged at 178* or less the entire time I had it running for Sunday's NW Nova meeting (about a 40mile round trip on the hwy and idling in traffic). This is without a shroud still. I'm sincerely convinced I don't need one, except maybe as a finger/clothing guard. :rolleyes:

To say that I'm relieved and excited about my success and results is an understatement. :D

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
FunkyNova66 said:
Did it overheat before you made the changes? My next purchase is a stewart stage II pump. If this doesn't fix the traffic overheating then it's aluminum radiator time. Mine still likes to see 210 in heavy traffic and 100deg days. Highway temps are great now-->180-90 all the time.
It overheated with the brass radiator if I idled too long.

It hasn't overheated since installation of the new aluminum rad and the Stewart pump. Yesterday's 100* drive was just the final system test and it passed with an A+. :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts