Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After running my car for awhile or even just driving down the street, when i turn it off the radiator starts to do a sort of slurping sound (slurp......slurp.......slurp). Just wondering what that might be. Im thinking it might be the vacuum valve on the radiator cap but Im in the process of basically redoing the whole system back to OEM because the guy i bought it off of has a small aluminum radiater (held on with zip ties... sigh) no fan shroud, a garbage universal run off tank, and a huge fan that needs a spacer cuz its way to far away from the radiator. It overheats do to this mismatch slapped together cooling system.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Sounds like a good idea going back to OEM. Sounds like a hodge-podge of stuff on there right now.

I use a BeCool aluminum radiator, stock fan shroud, flex fan with spacer, and a 180 thermostat and my car runs 175-180 while cruising. If idling for a while and in really hot weather it will creep up around 190-195 but I havent seen it go much higher than that. This was idling in a parking lot for a while in 95 degree weather. Generally its around 180-185 all the time.

Not sure on the slurping sound. I'm sure when you put all good quality parts back on there you wont have anymore issues.

I ended up using a 75-79 nova overflow can, fits next to the battery up under the passenger fender. Its stock looking, out of the way, and didnt require any drilling of new holes or anything like that. I'd try to find a stock replacement one if you can for your particular vehicle if you can.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, thnx for the help! Do you know the part # of that radiator? What size fan and spacer did you use? For some reason i can only find a 73-74 overflow tank, i think im just gonna try that. Anythings better then what i have now...

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
No problem man.

See if you can find a 75-79 overflow on Ebay, I got mine off of there used for $45 I think. It was pretty skanky looking when I got it, but I cleaned it up really good and mounted it and it looks and works great!

I have a 73-74 Nova overflow tank, its kind of cloddy though, mounts over on the passenger side inner fender and takes up a lot of space. The nice part about the 75-79 one is it fits behind the battery and up under the fender, so its out of the way and stuff. Just a recommendation though, either way will work fine obviously.

I called Classic Industries, they are in the process of making reproduction 75-79 overflows, but its still in the tooling phase. They said it wont be ready until late this year to early next year, didnt help me at all, so I bought a used one.

Not sure on the part #. I ordered it through Ramchargers, so I dont think the invoice will have the actual BeCool part number on it. It was one specifically for a 68-72 Nova though, aluminum, stock fitment, etc. Wasn't cheap though, near $500. There are probably cheaper options out there if you dont want to spend that much.

I'd have to check on the fan and spacer too. I got the same diameter flex fan as the stock fan, just not sure on the part number. I think its a Flexlite fan, brand name, etc. It was for a Nova though, usually those online places will help narrow things down for you if they are universal fit. I had to run a spacer as well, either 3" or 4" to get it closer into the stock fan shroud. Its still not in there all the way really, but close enough and seems to work pretty good. I'm using the stock pulleys as well so the fan fit on there just fine.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I c, ill definitely go with the 75-79 tank then. Yeah, im looking at the becool radiators now and theyre all around $500 but they look like the one i have on it right now, im just not sure if its stock fitment so im not sure if a shroud will fit on it. I think ill go junkyard diving today and see if i can find some parts.

Thnx again

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found a 75 tank for $20 at the junkyard, no fans or radiator support parts though. I think ill just have to go the classic industries route, they pretty much have everything i need, im just a cheap sob and dont wanna pay full price. Lol

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Youre lucky you found one at the junkyard, none of the junkyards around my house had anything that old in them, all 80's and up cars, and only a few 80's cars at that. Good job finding it!

Yeah I would spend the money and get a good quality radiator if you can. If its all set up right then you wont have to worry about cooling issues anymore.

·
Registered
988 Posts
check with Big Al on here he is a Champion Rad. dealer all aluminum , cheap and they work well
I have since added a stock fan shroud sorry this was the only pic I had loaded on photobucket

·
Registered
442 Posts
You might have air trapped in the block too. put the front up on some ramps and leave the radiator cap off and let it run for a little while.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts