Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i start my car and just let it sit and reach operating temps, its fine, but as soon as i go for a drive or get on it, fluid comes out the over flow hose, from work and back which is about 4 miles, it'll dump about a whole container of fluid out....

i replaced: the radiator cap, and thermostat

what could be causing it to over flow??? is to much pressure building up in the radiator and not so much getting to hot, could something be clogged?

what would you guys replace/check? i completely flushed the system before replacing the thermostat, so i have no contaminates in it.

let me know so i can get to driven again

thanks

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
do you mean its dumping coolant into your overflow tank? what pressure is your cap? Usually I fill the coolant to just under the overflow hose hole and add alittle coolant in the overflow bottle. You can watch it once it heats up and t-stat opens it should dump alittle but it will suck it back in. IF the engine temp is fine you may need a higher pressure cap.

·
Premium Member
1,160 Posts
Wrong cap

or head gasket

Check PSI on caps correct, neck is clean, no buildup, or distortion, if thats all good, go to NAPA and get a block check kit, about 40 bucks, detects compression gasses in your coolant

Steve

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Sounds like he doesn't have a recovery tank--if not, it will continue to puke out the excess coolant until it reaches a lower level.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have no over flow bottle just a hose

its a 16lb cap

and when i check it after driving, it dumps out to almost empty to the eye...

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its overflowing now, and its about 3/4 empty of the rad fins.... like on a scale of 1-10 of the radiator being filled 10 being filled... its at like a 3

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
but it never did this before.....a recovery system would just be some what of a band aid to a underlying problem.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
guess thats the only thing then :\ oh well.... off to napa

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Recovery system is a good, cheap investment anyway. Get one.

My heads are going on my motor and it causes my radiator to suck and spit coolant like it needed to make rent. How new are your heads and gaskets?
Have you tried flushing the system and replacing with new coolant, perhaps too much water has evaporated out? IE you now have way more antifreeze than actual coolant.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
its all antifreeze.....i just bought 2 containers of prestin (sp?) high millage antifreeze already mixxed

the heads and gaskets are i think original...

any links to a good decently priced recovery system?

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Yes, definitely a tank is in order. But really, they are only supposed to come into play when yer rad is barfing its lunch, which shouldnt be often. 16PSI cap? Is that the standard, I am using a 18PIS cap. JR

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
thats what your givin when you ask the parts guy...

edit: mr. gasket sells a 20 psi rad cap.... think that would work? versus my 16 psi cap?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Does this seem to run hotter then normal could be head gasket get a block check kit. It also could be the start of a clogged radaitor and flushing won't take care of that may have to be rodit out this is a cross flow right.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts