Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two show and go questions:

I see many people remove their coolant recovery tanks. Is that a good idea, and how do you best plug the radiator? OR is there a good way to restore the original tank, by soaking it in gasoline, bleach, simple green, etc? I have yet to see a replacement that matches my 1975 tank.

Also, I have new hood insulation, but it looks kinda splotchy. Can you remove it completely like I see done for shows? It gets freakin' hot under the hood with the headers and I'm afraid I'll overheat the hood paint!

THANKS!

·
Registered
767 Posts
The coolant recovery tank in kind of important.
I wouldn't toss it.
You can buy many different styles of aftermarket ones.
IF you want to clean up the stock design, you can paint it after. Heat shouldn't hurt it.

·
Premium Member
3,563 Posts
x2, don't toss the tank. Heck, I added a tank to my '69. The old days of dumping coolant on the ground just doesn't make sense. Cleaning the old tank is impossible... I've tried everything and you just cannot get the yellow out. Your options are to find a new one or to scuff and paint your old one with some plastic specific spray paint (works pretty good IMO).

Under hood insulation is a good thing to have. You can find reproduction material and cut it to fit, then use 3M spray adhesive to glue it in place. Not only does the insulation help with the paint - but it quiets down engine noise as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts