Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering what you guys with 68-72 nova's are using for an overflow tank? ive seen the moroso ones are there any other options out there?? thanks

bigdog

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
I bought a stainless steel tube style at a Goodguyst for ten bucks. It holds about a quart, it can with mounting brackets and bolts. Best of all it was made in Taiwan!

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
The 4th gen over flow bottle works best. It fits in the passenger fender behind the battery box. They are no longer in stock. You have to pick one up used. Earl

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys,, i like the idea of a working overflow tank and not just one that holds it til i reuse it.

·
6,502 Posts
I used a similiar aluminum canister/bottle like what Patman did but I used an old fire extinguisher bottle. I modified the top portion of it including the internal valve, cut off some things like the release handle but left the gauge on the top of the bottle (but it doesn't function) and also drilled another hole up high into the bottle to allow me to install and secure with epoxy a 180 degree elbow. The one half of the elbow goes into the container and the end on the outside of the container has a longer length of hose attached to it. What this hose and elbow are for is if the container does fill up I can route the excess from the filled overflow container to another location. I ran this longer tube off of the 180 degree elbow down below the bottle and then ran it inside the frame with the end by the rear subframe bushing. This way if the overflow container does become full the excess will be directed out of it, down the tube inside the frame and away from the front tire. Hopefully this would still allow me to still steer although it might cause a loss of traction on the rear tire on that side. I've seen some installs with the overflows tube ending in front of the front tire and I just think that would be more dangerous and you would have more of a chance of a loss of steering with it exiting in that area.
To secure mine I used a pair of large worm clamps to wrap around the bottle and a bracket off of the radiator support.

Jim

·
Registered
55 Posts
My 74 AC car came with one mounted on the right inner fender, much like the 4th gen cars, but it was bigger than I wanted, so I converted my washer jug, pulled the screen off but left the hose on so it will function properly.

Mike

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
MNYenko said:
The 4th gen over flow bottle works best. It fits in the passenger fender behind the battery box. They are no longer in stock. You have to pick one up used. Earl
Like Earl said, the 4th generation bottles fit perfectly behind the battery under the fender in the 69-74 Novas. Tucked out of the way!

·
Registered
348 Posts
68chevyll said:
I got a polished one from summit. Real nice for like 50 bucks. Later.

Mark!
same here

Eric

1 - 15 of 15 Posts