Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. Ok All I had left to do before firing the new motor was put coolant in it. And, as usual, everything was going way to good.:awkward: :beat: :mad: :confused: Well, when I poor the coolant in it's running out as fast as I put it in right at the front of the block. Looks like it's coming from one of the water pump bolts. When I put the pump on I noticed that one of the bolt holes went into the coolant galley, so I put the same stuff on the bolt that I used on the head bolts. Why do you guys think it's leaking? And what should I do to remedy the situation? Thanks.

·
Registered
689 Posts
gasket sealer on the bolts

Yep, some of the small blocks have bolt holes into the water jackets. put some non-hardening gasket sealer on the bolts and tighten them in. Shouldn't be a problem. On some of the early blocks there was a bolt hole down in the front above the oil pan that had to have a bolt in it and it didn't hold anything. It was used for motor mounts on the 55-57's Doesn't sound like a serious problem.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Greg McMillan said:
Yep, some of the small blocks have bolt holes into the water jackets. put some non-hardening gasket sealer on the bolts and tighten them in. Shouldn't be a problem. On some of the early blocks there was a bolt hole down in the front above the oil pan that had to have a bolt in it and it didn't hold anything. It was used for motor mounts on the 55-57's Doesn't sound like a serious problem.
Yup. I went through a lot of oil because of that darned hole!!! :mad:

Matt

·
Registered
121 Posts
Assuming its a small block, I would take a guess that you are running an aftermarket water pump. Some after market water pumps on the passenger side of the block don't cover the bypass hole under neath the water passage. If this is the case, its an easy fix. Just use a 1/8th pipe tap, thread the hole and put a pipe plug in it with some sealer.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
chevynuts88 said:
Ditto with that same hole!
If my foggy memory serves me correctly that tapped hole is for putting a longer bolt thru to lock the fuel pump rod (off the lobe of course) from sliding down to facilitate mounting the pump. I believe they discontinued that on later blocks......

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gstocker said:
Assuming its a small block, I would take a guess that you are running an aftermarket water pump. Some after market water pumps on the passenger side of the block don't cover the bypass hole under neath the water passage. If this is the case, its an easy fix. Just use a 1/8th pipe tap, thread the hole and put a pipe plug in it with some sealer.
gstocker,
It is a small block and I am running an edelbrock hi volume w/pump. And it looks like the leak is coming from the passenger side on the bottom of the pump. I hope that's what it is, cause that's easy enough to fix. Thanks to you all for your help.:)

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
novaracer1 said:
gstocker,
It is a small block and I am running an edelbrock hi volume w/pump. And it looks like the leak is coming from the passenger side on the bottom of the pump. I hope that's what it is, cause that's easy enough to fix. Thanks to you all for your help.:)
You probably used the wrong gasket that doesn't seal around the bypass then.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts