Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a certin coolant requirement for engines with aluminum heads? I've heard that certain coolants have chemicals thqt dont react well with the aluminum. Getting ready to fire it up and dont need any unexpected problems. Thnx, Joe

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
Care to elaborate?

Does the coolant look bad? Overheat? Corrode heater cores? Are you sure it's the coolant and not the factory cooling system? I'm a part store clerk (not that it counts for anything) and I've been told the GM coolant displaces the heat slightly better than the green stuff and doesn't corrode in newer aluminum rads. Have I been told wrong?

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I just use the good 'ol green stuff that says right on the front of the jug, "Mixes with any color Antifreeze" or "Safe for use with aluminum radiators".

I also use a bottle of Water-Wetter to help cut down on electrolysis.

Reactions: Deeznuts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Care to elaborate?

Does the coolant look bad? Overheat? Corrode heater cores? Are you sure it's the coolant and not the factory cooling system? I'm a part store clerk (not that it counts for anything) and I've been told the GM coolant displaces the heat slightly better than the green stuff and doesn't corrode in newer aluminum rads. Have I been told wrong?
Ive been told the same thing-and no im not sure that its the antifreeze for sure, But ive done allot of plugged heater cores and all that ive done were filled with the GM (orange)coolant stuff. and yes it seems to always look worse than the green does based on miles. Yet i think it was billed as 100K mile worthy-at least when it first came out anyway....

I beleive they have re-formulated that stuff a few times as well-so this may no longer be an issue, but with that said ive never seen a problem with the regular antifreeze when mixed 50/50 with water.....

I have no cold hard facts-just my opinion based on what ive seen.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I've been told the GM coolant displaces the heat slightly better than the green stuff
None of it works as well as water.
I've heard several horror stories on here about the orange stuff killing parts, but my Suburban is fine after 9 years and 155,000+ miles.

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
None of it works as well as water.
I've heard several horror stories on here about the orange stuff killing parts, but my Suburban is fine after 9 years and 155,000+ miles.
"WRONG" No way will water work just as well!!!
The Orange has been reformulated over a lot of law suites. Turns out GM did not do there home work and the stuff killed a lot of cars. There is some Yellow stuff out now that is good Prestone I think makes it. But never use just water.

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
Water freezes and boils a lot easier when there's no coolant in it. That's the point of the coolant - to raise the boiling point and reduce the freezing point of water. Not really to cool, but to make it so you don't freeze water in the lines or have it blowing out the overflow! Technically, Mike is right though, the water is what is actually removing the heat, not really the antifreeze.

Kev

·
Registered
33 Posts
Green stuff here as well with aluminum radiator and heads. I have tried water wetter in the past mixed in the coolant but have not noticed a difference. Maybe my mixture was off or I should have drained it all and used only water and water wetter? Who knows...its works good now in my 406 and does not over heat so why mess with it. Never tried the orange.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
"WRONG" No way will water work just as well!!!
I'm talking about cooling only--not protection from corrosion or freezing/boiling. Water works better. My daily drivers use whatever came from the factory, my Nova gets plain old tap water--my aluminum radiator is 10 years old and gets nothing but water. I tried adding some coolant a few years ago, temp went up about 10°--back to water. I would try some of the Evans stuff if it wasn't so damn expensive.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Kinda depends on your application in my opinion. I use distilled water and water wetter. I don't notice a cooling difference between straight water and the wetting agent but I have not seen any corrosion using it. My car is not a daily driver fwiw.

Antifreeze may lubricate your water pump a little better....

·
Registered
607 Posts
I'm talking about cooling only--not protection from corrosion or freezing/boiling. Water works better. My daily drivers use whatever came from the factory, my Nova gets plain old tap water--my aluminum radiator is 10 years old and gets nothing but water. I tried adding some coolant a few years ago, temp went up about 10°--back to water. I would try some of the Evans stuff if it wasn't so damn expensive.
How long do you let it sit before cycling through the block, or flushing it out? I used to use only tap water for a while, but after letting it sit for a week or so, the water started getting real brown, indicating rust. Once I switched to coolant, it didn't get near as bad. There was no cooling difference in my application.

I don't know if coolant protects against rust, but I know straight water and not being used for a while will rust the crap outta your block.

I have an electric water pump and when it's not running for a while, I like to cycle it for 5 minutes or so. Probably doesn't help, but it makes me feel better.

·
Registered
192 Posts
My last motor I had I ran water and water wetter when i pulled it out Spun a main bearing I was pulling chunks and I mean chunks of crap out of the water jackets I asked my machinist if hes seen it before because the block when I put together the time before was clean he said it looked like electrolysis build up. I wish i would have taken pics but I know i wont be using that anymore and im thinking about really running one of those zinc anode rods in the rad.

·
Registered
43 Posts
as you guys know, i`m purchasing a `72 with a 383, aluminum heads. flipping thru here i punched up "coolant", and this thread popped so here i am. stock radiator, but aluminum heads. worried about corrosion.. me too, wandering which coolant to use? thanx.

·
Registered
1971 Chevrolet Nova 350/350
226 Posts
Could a lot of the DexCool issues have been due to people actually going to 100k miles without changing it?
Was the urban legend of,”whatever you do, don’t mix it with the green stuff. Your car will instantly melt down”. Like feeding a Mogwai after midnight.
A replaced some head gaskets on a Chevy Equinox and the water jackets were completely blocked off with gunk. I figured that was due to complete lack of maintenance rather than a DexCool issue.
I know this is an old thread, but this is still a relevant issue.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts