Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I overfilled my tranny fluid a little bit....I figured the easiest way to let a little out would be from the tranny cooler line. I forgot which one was the "in" line to the radiator and accidentally took off the return line at the radiator. When I started my car fluid came flying out of the tranny cooling line opening in the radiator (expected)...but what wasn't expected was that there was coolant that came flying out too!! All over.....:eek:

My first impression was Cr*p my radiator is junk!! Then I held some small hope that by removing the tranny cooling line something opens that would allow coolant to leak out of the same hole.....any hope? Or am I screwed becuase I have coolant leaking into my tranny?

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
If you really have coolant in the transmission you probably also have transmission fluid in the coolant. That is probably why your transmission needed fluid. Either way, you have a radiator problem and the transmission will be hurt buy the coolant in the fluid.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FunkyNova66 said:
I hope you're kidding.:eek:
unfortunately no...not kidding. But something isn't adding up here....this is a relatively new radiator....not many miles on it at all.

Not a single hint of corrosion on the outside of the radiator...still new black finish.. how could there be failure inside the radiator?

Is there any way, other than the horrible way, that coolant would have come out of the tranny cooling line hole in the radiator? Please tell me there is some sort of explanation other than I now have big problems...:(

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
It's possible that the trans coolant line fitting was overtightened and you busted the weld/seal on the fitting in the trans cooler. This would explain the coolant.

You might try draining your transmission to see if there's any coolant in it. If there isn't, chances are the radiator is just damaged at the fitting and not in the internal tanks.

You may also want to disconnect the trans cooler lines and try pressurizing your radiator to see if it'll hold pressure. This will let you know if theres a leak between the radiator and the trans cooler tank. Cooling system pressure testers can be borrowed from your local AutoZone or other auto parts place that loans tools.

I think the only way you're going to know for sure what's going on is to do some testing to see what's broken where.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
NovatoriusRex said:
I think the only way you're going to know for sure what's going on is to do some testing to see what's broken where.
Good idea....thanks Novatorious. I will do some more testing tommorrow

That is the other thing, when I unhooked the transmission cooler line.... nothing came out until I started the engine. If there was a leak wouldn't coolant have started coming out as soon as I unhooked the tranny cooling line since I had been running the engine and the coolant was hot and pressurized?

Nothing came out until I started the engine...then it started spraying all over. The spraying stopped as as soon as I stopped the engine.

It is possible that this is coolant left in my tranny fluid from my old radiator in my old car. I pulled this engine/tranny from an old car that had a terrible radiator. Maybe this coolant was already in the tranny fluid?

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
once ya started the engine, the tranny's front pump started pumpin'...

fluid's comin' shut 'er off !!! :D :D :D

i agree, pressure test the Rad and the Tranny Cooler separately...

edit: if the tranny's not new and the car it was in had radiator issues... it may be possible for the coolant being present

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
it immediatly sounds like bad radiator, can't be anything else...but if you really want to know before you do anything pressurize the radiator and you should hear it leaking into the cooler

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So today I went and un-hooked both tranny cooler lines, and then just ran the engine until it got up to temp. Nothing...no noises from the tranny cooling holes in the radiator, not even a drip of coolant.

I'm starting to think the coolant in my tranny is left over from when it was hooked up to the OE radiator in the old car. That radiator was really crappy.

So now my question is....how bad did I hurt my tranny...how long until it craps out on me? The tranny only has 68,000 orig. miles on it.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
If you hurt the trans there's nothing you can do now.
You should at least drain the trans and refill it. See if it goes ok.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts