Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I pulled my valve covers I noticed the oil that gathers at the pockets where the head bolts are looked greenish in color and I’m down about a pint of coolant in about 800 miles.

I used ARP thread sealer on the head bolts and could understand maybe one not sealing but all of the end ones? The heads are Dart platinum with steam holes. I remember checking the gasket and block steam hole alignment but don’t recall checking the head steam hole gasket alignment, wonder if this could have any thing to do with it?

Any one else noticed this before?

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
My heads stud leaked water when my engine was first started. The sealer you used may have not done the job; I used the stuff that ARP recommended and mine still leaked. ARP and the machine shop recommended using a can of stop leak in it.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
All my studed motors leak, some worse than others. We had a post going about that some months ago. We run water in our stuff and they rust up and quit leaking before they ever get off the dyno. I have tried every type sealer known to man and they all can seep through the threads. I'd suggest adding sealer and keep an eye on it. Anti freeze inside an engine is very bad so you need to be sure you get it stopped up. RM

1 - 3 of 3 Posts