Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just bought this 74 nova a few weeks ago. Done several things to it. Well it has this awful squeak in the front. Discovered the the coil spring on the passenger side slipped out of the perch. So I took it apart and tried to reinstall the spring correct. Problem I’m m having is that the spring was not lined up in the perch up top right. So I put the spring in the right spot. But now where the spring mount into the control arm perch it does not line up. I don’t t want this thing flying out or slipping again. Could the spring have been damaged or something? Anyway here’s s a pic the spring already compressed to the frame and I’ll point where it should go on the control arm.

Attachments

·
Registered
406 Posts
Is it possible that the spring is upside down? Does flipping it over get everything to line up? Ive seen it happen before

·
Registered
477 Posts
Or is the indexing wrong for where your spring seats from one end to the other.. Check it against the other spring if its is seating correctly.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well my dad came by and we both looked at it. I kept the spring indexed in the right spot up top with the compressor. He said put that damn thing in it’ll be fine. Coming from a retired career mechanic and smog tech I trusted his judgement. We put it in and it’s fine. No more squeaking from the spring being slipped out running on the frame. Hopefully it’ll stay. Car is half way drivable now. Just need to do a few more things.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Someone has replaced the front springs with ones from a different make car which resulted in the coil's termination ending up in the wrong position.
If you buy the correct springs for your application, they will fit and terminate in the correct location.
I have dealt with Coil Spring Specialties from St Mary's, Kansas many times for custom made front springs, and have always been impressed with their accuracy!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah someone has worked on the front end at one time for sure. Upper ball joints are bolted in not riveted. I actually wonder if cheap parts were used. Have a bad upper control arm bushing on the same side. And the sway bar bushings are poly. I’m going to end up rebuilding the front and rear suspension anyway. The whole passenger side is an inch lower than the driver side. I’m actually questioning if I should replace all the bushings with poly also.

·
Registered
1973 Custom hatchback
1,037 Posts
Yeah someone has worked on the front end at one time for sure. Upper ball joints are bolted in not riveted. I actually wonder if cheap parts were used. Have a bad upper control arm bushing on the same side. And the sway bar bushings are poly. I’m going to end up rebuilding the front and rear suspension anyway. The whole passenger side is an inch lower than the driver side. I’m actually questioning if I should replace all the bushings with poly also.
My UCA and LCAs were in horrible shape, I bought a set of tubular replacements from SS396 that were less expensive than the OEM style replacements. They fir well and look great.
remember to lube them before you drive.....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok here’s a question. Are both lower control arm supposed to look somewhat identical?reason I ask because I pulled the car out to do some cleaning and noticed that the left control arm looks like it has more of a curl to it and looks thicker. Not sure if my eyes are deceiving me. Although I do notice driver side has no bumper.

Attachments

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
The springs clock to the bottom control arm.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I did buy new springs. And I replaced the passenger side first. That side was actually lower front and back. The old spring on that side was definitely not right. Either was wrong spring or the end of the coil was cut. Was not clocked right for the perches. The new one is sitting in there good. Still need to do the driver side. And rear leafs.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Either the wrong springs or they were cut a partial coil in the past.
As far as the differences in arm appearance, I noticed the same thing on my 70 when I picked it up. I am going to guess arms from different cars/years.
I now have a matched pair off another 70.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok here’s a question. Are both lower control arm supposed to look somewhat identical?reason I ask because I pulled the car out to do some cleaning and noticed that the left control arm looks like it has more of a curl to it and looks thicker. Not sure if my eyes are deceiving me. Although I do notice driver side has no bumper.
So remember I posted about this. Well after replacing the springs on both sides found a difference in the control arms. So the passenger side I had to replace the clips to bolt on the shocks to the control arm. Well I got the driver apart and what did I find. The control arm has the shock mounting nuts attached to the control arm. Not sure if this was an aftermarket replacement arm or if it came from another car. Also noticed the bump stop on the passenger side is on the front side of the control arm and the driver side the bump stop is on the rear side of the control arm.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
So remember I posted about this. Well after replacing the springs on both sides found a difference in the control arms. So the passenger side I had to replace the clips to bolt on the shocks to the control arm. Well I got the driver apart and what did I find. The control arm has the shock mounting nuts attached to the control arm. Not sure if this was an aftermarket replacement arm or if it came from another car. Also noticed the bump stop on the passenger side is on the front side of the control arm and the driver side the bump stop is on the rear side of the control arm.
they are from different years. I think the earlier ones had the shock nuts attached to the control arms and the later ones used the clips, also the same for the bump stops. I just swaped out my sons control arms on his 72 with some I got from a friend, I think they were off of a 68, his off of the 72 had the clips for the shock nuts and the ones I got to replace them had them attached nuts, and the bump stops were in a different spot. The replacment ones I got fit the same as the other ones, I just drilled it for the bump stops to be where they were on the 72.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I’ll post a pic sometime soon. Just got done with the rear today. Put in brand new leaf springs and ditched the air shocks. Those old leaf springs were really bad. Have new springs and shocks and bushings all around.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts