·
14,672 Posts
Nice article.

·
Registered
1974 Nova SS
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"The Don Yenko version fitted with an 11.0:1 compression L72 427 CID engine producing 450 hp was even faster. The upgraded Nova track-tested 0 to 60 mph in a mere 5.1 seconds at 120 mph and achieved a sub-11 second quarter-mile time. "

What does "sub-11 second" quarter mile time mean? They saying in the 10's? Can that be true?

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
"The Don Yenko version fitted with an 11.0:1 compression L72 427 CID engine producing 450 hp was even faster. The upgraded Nova track-tested 0 to 60 mph in a mere 5.1 seconds at 120 mph and achieved a sub-11 second quarter-mile time. "

What does "sub-11 second" quarter mile time mean? They saying in the 10's? Can that be true?
And with the tires of the day... that's pretty f'ing impressive!!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
And with the tires of the day... that's pretty f'ing impressive!!
That would have been on drag slicks....not the average road tire of the day.
Of course, the articles never tell you that.
it would also have been special performance tuned by Yenko mechanics, open header, and probably 4.88 geared to achieve that.

The same engine in a Yenko Camaro was the same outcome.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
it would also have been special performance tuned by Yenko mechanics, open header, and probably 4.88 geared to achieve that.

But even the rubber compounds back then were nowhere near as advanced as we have today. I assumed they were speaking slicks in the article though. No street tires of that era could stick to get those times.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts

I don't recall if the article stated tire sizes though, what would be your guess on tire given the leafspring suspension and limited space in the wheel well...

·
Registered
1968 SS 427 DH
50 Posts
Not bad but it failed to mention that 68 started with a 4 cylinder engine and the smallest six was a 230 with 140hp. Also said the Nova could not be had through the COPO system which ignores the 50 COPO 9738 cars that were built. I suppose it meant a COPO 427 but some of the 396 COPO cars were converted to 427 by Di*k Harrell.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Interesting read - surprises me though that they consider the 3rd gen Nova a "compact car" and not a "muscle car" anymore... I get that the 70's oil crisis affected almost everything from Pintos to Porches - but what do you consider a muscle car? V8 power - yes. 2 door chassis - yes. RWD solid axle - yes. Are there any other qualifications I'm missing from that era? Granted, true - the dimensions of the car were rather compact compared to the land yachts like the Chevelle, Biscayne, etc. - but smaller doesn't preclude it from it's rightful "muscle car" moniker does it?

·
Registered
1974 Nova SS
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I feel like, personally, the 68-72 deserve to carry the Muscle Car classification. 73-74…eh, who cares. They were all on their way down and in todays light, they just don’t appeal to me all that much, especially in OEM trim. I actually feel lucky that my 74 has the same core body style. It strongly “resembles” a muscle car. 😆

·
Registered
1968 SS 427 DH
50 Posts
Is a 68 Camaro considered a compact muscle car? If so then the 68-72 Nova is a muscle car as well since they are essentially the same car at its core. Camaro was designed off of the chassis and cowl of the 68 Nova which was already in development as of 1965. That's why everything from the base of the windshield down the cowl sides and base of the door pilar is identical on both.

·
Registered
68 Harrell L 88 with B&M HydroStick 456 rear end4,000 stall speed street only (bought in 1970)
27 Posts
Handwriting Font Parallel Schematic Rectangle
Some of the Harrell Novas had the iconic L88 slightly detuned to run on pump gas and fan shrade to help reduce over heating. With what we called M-T street slicks they could do 0-60 mph it sub-4 sec and the quarter in the 10's, I had one. The attached invoice is a sample, not my car, it is a Camaro.

From Medium -

"The famous Mirowski’s car suffered a bearing failure, but this was due to a bad water pump from the factory. He took the car to Van-T Chevrolet in Topeka, which contacted Harrell with the issue. The racer suggested they simply put a 427 CI L88 short-block the dealership had on hand into it and send the 396 back to Chevrolet for warranty replacement. With an upcharge of $120, the owner agreed to this and all the parts from the COPO 9738-installed engine went on this new stout bottom end. However, with the responsibilities of a new family, Jim Mirowski traded the car in on a new Vega in late 1970 and never saw it again."

1 - 12 of 12 Posts