Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Previously posted a thread "Big Block Help". Well no help needed just yet I have just traded for the engine complete from the fan to the flywheel. it has 147000 miles and is in a 89 chevy dually. No pics yet as I have to gather all my parts and pieces and he has to come get a 79 T/A body I included in the trade. All in all it consisted of some scrap metal the car, a metal desk, bare350 engine block (one main cap missing), two truck rear ends (junk), two (junk) air compressors, and $150.00. I will be insurting the engine into my 72 Nova. The build will be a long one as I have no budget and usually buy used. The engine will be cleaned with a RPM intake, 750 Holley, headers, HEI dis (maybe) and a Mutha thumper cam. The factory serpanteen (sp) belt system. It will probably be a month or so before I really start posting anything much but I will post as soon as make some progress and plan to detail the conversion for others to see. For now I will run the 350 turbo I have and will add a stall as needed.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Are you currently running a small block in your nova? I did an engine swap last year on my 69. It had a 350 in it and was swapped in favor of a 454 big block. The whole process was literally a piece of cake. I left the stock small block frame mounts alone. I also used Moroso solid steel motor mounts for a small block, I could not get the driver side header on with the big block motor mounts. This is strange and probably not the correct way of doing it, but it worked for me. Everything fits and lines up. I bought the engine from my next door neighbor for $300.00. This included everything, from carb to oil pan and fan to flexplate. A turbo 400 was also included with the engine, I currently have it under my workbench in the garage. I'm running a turbo 350 I already had. I have absolutely no regrets at all with the swap, a 454 in a 3rd gen nova is just awesome. Boat loads of torque, the engine came out of a 85 suburban with a little over 236,000 miles on it. I put new rod and main bearings in and also replaced the oil pump, timing chain and sprockets. And thats it. Needless to say it runs very well, puts a big grin on my face everytime I get behind the wheel.:D:D:D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Has this truck engine ever been rebuilt?
You mentioned new carb, intake, headers, and cam. But no mention of rings and bearings. If the engine has 147,000 miles, it needs at least a hone and re-ring and touch up the valves and seats. Otherwise you will lose allot of power you try to make with things like a hot rod cam, intake, and carb.

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jlowery78 Yes I am running a 350. Do you have power steering?

Novajohnb Hadn't planned on a rebuild it runs pretty strong like it is but I haven't torn into it to see what it looks like. Timing set and oil pump would be manditory but not sure about freshening up with bearings, rings and honing, but it would be a good ideal while I had it out. The springs in the heads will have to be changed too. Had really planned on cleaning it up throwing some parts at it and taking off.

Should have some pics of what I'm trading in on it and then some of the donor truck and engine soon.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Hey Fencepost, I'm running manual steering. There is very little clearance between header tube and the steering gearbox. I ended up dimpling the tube, finally got it to clear. Have you heard the engine run? If you have, as long as it wasn't blowing smoke out the exhaust or making any knocking noises, I would drop that bad boy in and let her eat.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I would atleast take the oil pan off and check the bearings and cylinder walls. Just take the main and rod caps off and have a look. Wont cost anymore then an oil pan gasket if everything is fine, which you will need if you are putting a new oil pump and cam in it anyways. I would put in a 1 piece oil pan gasket. You dont want to put the motor in and find out it leaks oil later. trust me, its a pain in the butt to do it while the motor is in the car.

Oh, :pics:
-Dan

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The T/A is junk. I had bought it from the 454 guys father (he has a junkyard too) I was going to fix it and run a 455 Olds engine but its just to bad to fix. Then I decided to keep it and use the roof (it has Hurst T-tops) on a hard top car in better shape and the front clip on somthing else but this BBC trade seems to be the best thing to use it for now. i'll try and post some pics of the trade material tonight.

I've heard it run but a compression test and a good overall cleaning and inspection is in order. Then I can decide what to do from there. May check on some rings and bears but hadn't intended on a rebuild just a stick and play.

This hole process will take a long time I have many different projects going on including a wife, two kids, finishing my house, a 4-wheeler for my son, and I really want one for myself:rolleyes:

I'm going to have to sell some stuff to, probably post it on the for sale section SNS.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Are you currently running a small block in your nova? I did an engine swap last year on my 69. It had a 350 in it and was swapped in favor of a 454 big block. The whole process was literally a piece of cake. I left the stock small block frame mounts alone. I also used Moroso solid steel motor mounts for a small block, I could not get the driver side header on with the big block motor mounts. This is strange and probably not the correct way of doing it, but it worked for me. Everything fits and lines up. I bought the engine from my next door neighbor for $300.00. This included everything, from carb to oil pan and fan to flexplate. A turbo 400 was also included with the engine, I currently have it under my workbench in the garage. I'm running a turbo 350 I already had. I have absolutely no regrets at all with the swap, a 454 in a 3rd gen nova is just awesome. Boat loads of torque, the engine came out of a 85 suburban with a little over 236,000 miles on it. I put new rod and main bearings in and also replaced the oil pump, timing chain and sprockets. And thats it. Needless to say it runs very well, puts a big grin on my face everytime I get behind the wheel.:D:D:D
Did the same as well, bought a 78' chevy silverado camper special $750 put the 454/400 in the nova with just a cam and intake change, piece of cake!

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
traded for ssome heads 14092360 thought they were some really good heads but after the trade I found out they were just some plain oval port heads nothing special except someone gasket matched the inake ports. Still they should be beter than the peanut port heads the engine has now.

[/IMG]

Heres some pics of the T/A and some of the other stuff I'm trading. Haven't gotten it all together yet it started raining so I had to stop. My little buddy is asleep right now (4yr old son) so when he wakes up we'll finish and haul it to the yard (about 2 miles away).

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's the list of things it needs. floor pans, steering colmn, dash cluster, seats + tracks, motor, tranny, cross member, T-tops + rubbers, radiator, interior, drive shaft, A/C controls and ducts. There is bubbly rust in the bottom of the fenders, 1/4's, trunk lid, and doors I think. It was raining when I took those pics so its really not shinny in person. i thought it was a real Bandit car so I bought it out of the junkyard, used the licence plate to track down the original owner Who had bought from a used car lot and later sold it on credit to a guy who never finished paying for it, liked about $200.00. Owner gave me permisson to get a clear title. He said it was a Bandit car but I don't think it was headlight inserts were not gold and some other little things just don't look right. I was going to build it but it is just to bad, it would be easier and better to find a hard top and swap the roofs. Then could build a bandit clone.:D
So now it's end is near it will be crushed but always live on in photos and dreams and the tire smoke from my big block powered Nova:D

·
Registered
19 Posts
bb

my 73 came with a 350 . i rebuilt a 454 3o over got all my parts motor mount
perches etc. started sat. after work 3.00 finshed sunday 7:00 pm
no major problems except it would overheat very fast but fixed that.
have p/s and p/b long tube headers and about 1/4 inch between header
and gear box.

can see my rides at http://www.cardomain.com/id/jerex911

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looks great. I painted my inner fenders and fire wall flat black the 1st time. I think I will go glossy black this time. The donor truck also has hydra boost I may get that too and add it to my car, not really worried about that right now. May take the other air compressor to the yard tomorrow he'll have to remove it with the forklift then I'll take that trailer weld on some motor mount perches so I can go back and get the 454. That way I can move it around until I get ready to put it in. Thanks again for the picks. I also think I'm going to buy the big block heater box and core to make the conversion look factory.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts