Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I'm new here, but have been using the forum for years as an information resource. Now I find myself needing to post as I can't find my answers in any of my searches. Please go easy on me if I have missed something!!!

I have a '62 2 door post race car built to be a '65 clone.
IMG_7515.JPG

You can see more photos on Instagram @elnovaqueva

I have the correct grill and recently acquired the correct hood trim

Now I'm trying to get the tail/reverse lights to be correct.

Has anyone here successfully converted their car?

I have located 2 sets of the chrome light fixtures, the lenses and gaskets are readily available, so that part is easy.

It looks like the tail light fixture can be simply flipped over for use as a reverse light. Is that right?

Also it looks like the tail light mounting hole is a different size (mine are still en route, so I haven't put my hands on them yet). Do I need to find a different tail light mounting panel or do some body work in order to make them fit?

I have a fiberglass trunk lid. Any pointers on adding the mounting holes to the trunk lid? I saw a thread somewhere that mentioned someone having mounting location and fitment information. Any leads?

Thanks in advance for the help!

[email protected]
GOOBZ

·
Super Moderator
4,002 Posts
Love the picture. And the planned project.

But it depends on how far you want to go with making your '62 a '65. More than just taillights, though guys have cut and pasted '65 taillight portions of the rear quarter to make them fit. It's a lot of work. For the trunk lid, it's just finding a '65 trunk lid.

If you really want to make it a '65, get a '65. The rear window on sedans for '62-'64 is the same, but '65 sedans have a smaller back glass. The Nova cognoscenti will know right away, but that might not matter to you. Also, the grille change is possible, but core support, grille and headlight trim attachment is all different for '65, so it will require getting some little parts and adapting. Gauges one year only, hood bar '65 only, so it will take some doing.

Why not make a '62 race car?

·
Registered
248 Posts
As you probably know by know the tail light and back up lights are different. The back up light bezels are different from the tail light bezels. The mount differently on the car. Tail lights have studs that go through the sheet metal hole and use the standard 1157 dual filament bulbs. The back up lights use bolts to secure them and use 1156 single filament bulbs.

The bezels line up right beside each other with only about 1/4 " of space between them. When I was redoing a crushed rear right tail on my car, I had to cut the old tail light mount out and weld it into a new 62-64 repop piece. I found an original 65 trunk to finish it.

If you aren't looking for function but just appearance, it could be done in your fiberglass trunk lid with the flipped taillight bezels.

Here is how I fixed it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,750 Posts
But it depends on how far you want to go with making your '62 a '65.

If you really want to make it a '65, get a '65. The rear window on sedans for '62-'64 is the same, but '65 sedans have a smaller back glass. The Nova cognoscenti will know right away, but that might not matter to you.
To add a bit more to this, the shape of the top on post cars was also changed in '65. More than just accommodating the smaller new rear window, there was a bend in the sheet-metal on the trailing edge of the roof and the C-pillars were quite a bit thicker. See '62 vs. '65 photos, below:

·
Super Moderator
4,002 Posts
Never noticed that. Not just a different cut for the hole for the window, but different shape.

Looks like most of the conversion stuff has already been done, and going fiberglass makes it all easier. Boom...now a '65 racer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow everyone, great information keep it coming.

Does anyone know if you can get these for a '65?
Screen Shot 2018-12-01 at 4.00.51 PM.jpg

Also I had no idea about the rear pillar, I think I'm going to have to skip that for now

Thanks again

1 - 10 of 10 Posts